The molecular basis of resistance to the herbicide norflurazon
- 392 Downloads
We have cloned and sequenced a gene, pds, from the cyanobacterium Synechococcus PCC7942 that is responsible for resistance to the bleaching herbicide norflurazon. A point mutation in that gene, leading to an amino acid substitution from valine to glycine in its polypeptide product, was found to confer this resistance. Previous studies with herbicide-resistant mutants have indicated that this gene encodes phytoene desaturase (PDS), a key enzyme in the biosynthesis of carotenoids. A short amino acid sequence that is homologous to conserved motifs in the binding sites for NAD(H) and NADP(H) was identified in PDS, suggesting the involvement of these dinucleotides as cofactors in phytoene desaturation.
Key wordscarotenogenesis herbicide resistance norflurazon nicotinamide-adenine-dinucleotide phytoene desaturase Synechococcus PCC7942
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bramely PM: The in vitro biosynthesis of carotenoids. Adv Lipid Res 21: 243–279 (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.Chamovitz D, Pecker I, Sandmann G, Böger P, Hirschberg J: Cloning a gene coding for norflurazon resistance in cyanobacteria. Z Naturforsch 45c: 482–486 (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.Goodwin TW: The Biochemistry of Carotenoids, vol. 1, Chapman-Hall, New York (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.Hirschberg J, Ohad N, Pecker I, Rabat A: Isolation and characterization of herbicide resistant mutants in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus R2. Z Naturforsch. 42c: 102–112 (1987).Google Scholar
- 9.Lachance P: Dietary intake of carotenes and the carotene gap. Clin Nutr 7: 118–122 (1988).Google Scholar
- 10.Linden H, Sandmann G, Chamovitz D, Hirschberg J, Böger P: Generation and biochemical characterization of Synechococcus mutants selected against the bleaching herbicide norflurazon. Pestic Biochem Physiol 36: 46–51 (1990).Google Scholar
- 11.Sandmann G, Böger P: Inhibition of carotenoid biosynthesis by herbicides. In: Böger P, Sandmann G (eds) Target Sties of Herbicide Action, pp. 25–44. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL (1989).Google Scholar
- 13.Sandmann G, Linden H, Böger P: Enzyme kinetic studies on the interaction of norflurazon with phytoene desaturase. Z Naturforsch 44c: 787–790 (1989).Google Scholar