Growth promoting effect of Azospirillum brasilense on Casuarina cunninghamiana Miq. seedlings
- 45 Downloads
The growth of Casuarina cunninghamiana seedlings was stimulated when inoculated with Azospirillum brasilense. This resulted in a higher biomass production than in uninoculated controls in the presence or absence of a non-nodulating strain of Frankia.
Increase in whole plant dry weight was due to a significant increase in both shoot and root biomass, which corresponded with a higher total N content of the plants inoculated with Azospirillum. No such effects were observed under inoculation with a non-nodulating Frankia strain. These results suggest that the growth-promoting substances provided by A. brasilense may have enhanced the growth of Casuarina seedlings.
Key wordsassociative effects Azospirillum Casuarina Frankia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akkermans A D L et al. 1989 Ann. Sci. For. 46 Suppl. Forest Tree Physiology. Eds. E Dreyer et al. pp 765s–771s. Elsevier/INRA.Google Scholar
- Boddey R M and Döbereiner J 1984 In Current Developments in Biological Nitrogen Fixation. Ed. N SSubbaRao. pp 279–313. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi, India.Google Scholar
- Bond G 1974 In The Biology of Nitrogen Fixation. Ed. AQuispel, 342–370. North Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Burris R H 1977 In Recent Development in Nitrogen Fixation. Eds. W ENewton et al. pp 487–511. Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Dewan G I and SubbaRao N S 1979 Plant and Soil 53, 295–302.Google Scholar
- Dommergues Y R 1976 Anls. Edaf. Agrobiol. 35, 1039–1056.Google Scholar
- Hahn D et al. 1990 Plant and Soil 122, 121–127.Google Scholar
- Okon Y et al. 1976 J. Bacteriol. 127, 1248–1254.Google Scholar
- Okon Y 1988 In Biological Nitrogen Fixation — Recent Developments. Ed. N SSubbaRao. pp 175–195. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi, India.Google Scholar
- Rodríguez-Barrueco C et al. 1989 In Nitrogen Fixation with Non-Legumes. Eds. F ASkinner et al. pp 15–24. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Rodríguez Cáceres E 1982 Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 44, 990–991.Google Scholar
- Snedecor G W and Cochran W G 1967 Statistical Methods (Sixth Edition). The Iowa State University Press, Ames, Iowa (USA).Google Scholar
- Singh C S and SubbaRao N S 1979 Plant and Soil 53, 387–392.Google Scholar
- SubbaRao N S 1983 Can. J. Microbiol. 29, 863–866.Google Scholar
- Tien T M et al. 1979 Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 37, 219–226.Google Scholar
- Yahalom E et al. 1987 Can. J. Microbiol. 33, 510–514.Google Scholar
- Zimmer W and Bothe H 1989 In Nitrogen Fixation with Non-Legumes. Eds. F ASkinner et al. pp 137–145. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.Google Scholar