A phase diagram for Ca- and Fe-bound phosphate has been calculated based on two criteria:
the adsorption of ortho-phosphate onto iron hydroxide
the solubility product of apatite as measured in two hard water rivers.
The phase diagram explains why ortho-phosphate (o-PO4) in sediments, containing high concentrations of CaCO3 (about 10–30%), is bound onto the iron hydroxide rather than onto the CaCO3. The concentration of the iron hydroxide has an effect on the equilibrium between the two phosphates, whilst the concentration of CaCO3 has no effect whatsoever.
Key wordscalcium bound phosphate iron bound phosphate phase diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. L. Golterman & A. Booman, 1987. The sequential extraction of Ca- and Fe-bound phosphates. Verh. Int. Ver. Limnol. 23, in pressGoogle Scholar
- W. Stumm & J. J. Morgan, 1970. Aquatic Chemistry. Wiley - Interscience, New York, 583 pp.Google Scholar
- W. Stumm & J. J. Morgan, 1981. Aquatic Chemistry, 2nd Edition. Wiley - Interscience, New York. 780 pp.Google Scholar
- H. L. Golterman, 1982. Loading concentration models for phosphate in shallow waters. Hydrobiologia 91: 169–174.Google Scholar
- H. L. Golterman, 1984. Sediments, modifying and equilibrating factors in the chemistry of freshwater. Verh. Intern. Verein. Limnol., 22: 23–59.Google Scholar
- H. L. Golterman & M. L. Meyer, 1985. The geochemistry of two hard water rivers, the Rhine and the Rhone, Part 4: The determination of the solubility product of hydroxy-apatite. Hydrobiologia, 126: 25–29.Google Scholar
- L. Lijklema, 1977. The role of iron in the exchange of phosphate between water and sediments. In H. L. Golterman (ed.), Interactions between sediments and fresh water. W. Junk B.V. Publishers, The Hague, pp. 313–317.Google Scholar
- H. L. Golterman, 1980. Phosphate models a gap to bridge. Hydrobiologia 72: 61–71.Google Scholar
- H. H. Stabel, 1986. Calcite precipitation in Lake Constance: Chemical equilibrium, sedimentation, and nucleation by algae. Limnol. Oceanogr. 31: 1081–1094.Google Scholar