Composition and seasonality of benthic invertebrates, and drift in the Naro Moru River, Kenya
- 81 Downloads
A survey was carried out to establish the nature and composition of the benthos along the Naro Moru, a tropical river in central Kenya using artificial substrate baskets, from November 1986 to October 1987. A clear longitudinal zonation existed for Diptera and Ephemeroptera which were the major benthic taxa. Maximum colonization took place after ten days of exposure.
Seasonal variations in abundance were also observed. All taxa collected from the bottom samples were also collected in the drift samples, but the percentage composition of the benthos showed variations with that of the drift. Simulium sp. dominated the benthos whilst Baetis spp. dominated the drift. There was a positive correlation between drift rate and benthic fauna density.
Key wordsbenthos composition zonation artificial substrate baskets drift Kenya
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bishop, J. E., 1973. Limnology of a small Malayan river Sungai Gombak. Dr W. Junk. 485 pp.Google Scholar
- Macan, T. T., 1977. A guide to Freshwater Invertebrate Animals. Longman, London, 118 pp.Google Scholar
- Muller, K., 1954. Investigations on the organic drift in North Swedish streams. Rep. Inst. Freshwat. Res. Drottningholm 35: 133–148.Google Scholar
- Radford, D. S. & R. Hartland-Rowe, 1971. A preliminary investigation of bottom fauna and invertebrate drift in a unregulated and a regulated stream in Alberta. J. appl. Ecol. 8: 583–603.Google Scholar
- Siegel, S., 1956. Nonparametric statistics for the behavioural sciences. McGraw Hill, New York, 312 pp.Google Scholar
- Statzner, B., C. Dejoux & J. M. Elouard, 1984. Field experiments on the relationship between drift and benthic densities of aquatic insects in tropical streams (Ivory Coast). I. Introduction: review of drift literature, methods and experimental conditions. Rev. Hydrobiol. trop. 17: 319–334.Google Scholar
- Ulfstrand, S., 1968. Benthic animal communities in Lapland streams. Oikos (Suppl. 10), 120 pp.Google Scholar
- Van Someren, V. D., 1952. The Biology of trout in Kenya Colony. Nairobi; Govt. Print. 114 pp.Google Scholar