Nitrogen concentrations in a mangrove creek with a large tidal range, Peninsular Malaysia
We report on various species of nitrogen in subsurface water samples taken at the mouth of Sungai Sementa Besar, a creek about 4.5 km long off the Straits of Malacca and draining a mangrove forest on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia. This tide-dominated watercourse shows a range greater than 4.5 metres from low to high water during springs, only 1.0 m during neaps, and salinities at the mouth of 30‰ or greater. After heavy rains or when the tides inundate the forest floor, inorganic nitrogen values increase as much as tenfold at the mouth. Particulate and total organic nitrogen also increase at the mouth under these conditions. There were also comparative highs of organic inputs at other times.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boto, K. G. & J. T. Wellington, 1988. Seasonal variations in concentrations and fluxes of dissolved organic and inorganic materials in a tropical, tidally-dominated mangrove waterway. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 50: 151–160.Google Scholar
- Chong, V. C., 1979. The biology of the white prawn Peneaus merguiensis de Man in the Pulau Angsa-Klang Straits (Straits of Malacca). M. Sc. thesis, Department of Zoology, University of Malaya. Unpublished. 141 pp.Google Scholar
- Grasshoff, K., 1976. Methods of seawater analysis. Weinheim, New York. 317 pp.Google Scholar
- Lugo, A. E. & S. C. Snedaker, 1974. The ecology of mangroves. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 5: 39–64.Google Scholar
- Major, G. A., G. D. Pont, J. Klye & B. Newell, 1972. Laboratory techniques in marine chemistry. Report 51. CSIRO Division of Fisheries and Oceanography, Cronulla, Sidney.Google Scholar
- Solorzano, L., 1969. Determination of ammonia in natural waters by phenolhypochlorite method. Limnol. Oceanogr. 14: 799–801.Google Scholar
- Strickland, J. D. & T. R. Parsons, 1972. A practical handbook of seawater analysis. Bull. Fish. Res. Bd Can. 167 pp.Google Scholar
- Twilley, R. R., 1985. The exchange of organic carbon in basin mangrove forests in a southwest Florida estuary. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 20: 543–557.Google Scholar
- Twilley, R. R., 1988. Coupling of mangroves to the productivity of estuarine and coastal waters. Lecture Notes on Coastal waters and Estuarine Studies 22: 155–180.Google Scholar
- Wolanski, E., Y. Mazda, B. King & S. Gay, 1990. Dynamics, flushing, and trapping in Hinchinbrook Channel, a giant mangrove swamp, Australia. Estuar. Coast. Shelf Sci. 31: 555–579.Google Scholar