A conserved sequence in internal transcribed spacer 1 of plant nuclear rRNA genes
A highly conserved sequence was found in rRNA gene internal transcribed spacer 1 (ITS1) among flowering plant species. The sequence, GGCRY-(4 to 7 n)-GYGYCAAGGAA (where Y=C or T; R=G or A) is located in the central region of ITS1, and is present in published sequences from a wide range of flowering plants. The rest of ITS1 is highly variable in sequence. Therefore, the conserved motif within ITS1 may have a key function in the processing of rRNA gene transcripts. Furthermore, identification of such a conserved motif will help facilitate alignment of sequences for phylogenetic analysis.
Key wordsribosomal RNA gene RNA processing secondary structure molecular phylogeny
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Baldwin BG: Phylogenetic utility of the internal transcribed spacers of nuclear ribosomal DNA in plants: An example from the Compositae. Mol Phylogen Evol 1: 3–16 (1992).Google Scholar
- 4.Baldwin BG: Molecular phylogenetics of Calycadenia (Compositae) based on ITS sequences of nuclear ribosomal DNA: chromosomal and morphological evolution reexamined. Am J Bot 80: 222–238 (1993).Google Scholar
- 11.Jorgensen RA, Cluster PD: Modes and tempos in the evolution of nuclear ribosomal DNA: new characters for evolutionary studies and new markers for genetic and population studies. Annu Missouri Bot Gard 75: 1238–1247 (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.Suh Y, Thien LB, Reeve HE, Zimmer EA: Molecular evolution and phylogenetic implications of internal transcribed spacer sequences of ribosomal DNA in Winteraceae. Am J Bot 80: 1042–1055 (1993).Google Scholar
- 21.Takaiwa F, Oono K, Sugiura M: Nucleotide sequence of the 17S–25S spacer region from rice rDNA. Plant Mol Biol 4: 355–364 (1985).Google Scholar
- 26.Wojciechowski MF, Sanderson MJ, Baldwin BG, Donoghue MJ: Monophyly of aneuploid Astragalus (Fabaceae): evidence from nuclear ribosomal DNA internal transcribed spacer sequences. Am J Bot 80: 711–722 (1993).Google Scholar
- 28.Yeh LC, Thweatt R, Lee JC: Internal transcribed spacer 1 of the yeast precursor ribosomal RNA. Higher order structure and common structural motifs. Biochemistry 29: 5911–5918.Google Scholar