The effects of floating mats of Azolla filiculoides Lam. and Lemna minuta Kunth on the growth of submerged macrophytes
- 264 Downloads
In laboratory experiments, the growth characteristics of the submerged species Elodea nuttallii (Planch.) St. John and Potamogeton crispus L. were assessed in the presence and absence of floating mats of Azolla filiculoides Lam. and Lemna minuta Kunth. Light penetration and the development of pH and dissolved oxygen differences were monitored. The growth of P. crispus was suppressed much more than that of E. nuttallii and the effects of A. filiculoides were more severe than those of L. minuta. Findings are related to possible field responses of submerged plants under floating mats, especially their abilities to compensate for the potential suppressive effects of floating mats under natural conditions.
Key wordsElodea nuttallii Potamogeton crispus interference shading
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnon, D. L., 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chlorolasts, Polyphenol oxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol. 24: 1–15.Google Scholar
- Barko, J. W. & R. M. Smart, 1981. Comparative influences of light and temperature on the growth and metabolism of selected submersed freshwater macrophytes. Ecol. Monogr. 51: 219–235.Google Scholar
- Leslie, A. C. & S. M. Walters, 1983. The occurrence of Lemna minuscula Herter in the British Isles. Watsonia 14: 243–248.Google Scholar
- Maberley, S. C., 1993. Morphological and photosynthetic characteristics of Potamogeton obtusifolius from different depths. J. Aquat. Plant Mgmt 31: 34–39.Google Scholar
- Mackereth, F. J. H., J. Heron & J. F. Talling, 1978. Water analysis: some revised methods for limnologists. Freshwater Biological Association, Ambleside, 120 pp.Google Scholar
- Ozimek, T., E. Pieczynska & A. Hankiewicz, 1991. Effects of filamentous algae on submerged macrophyte growth: a laboratory experiment. Aquat. Bot. 41: 309–315.Google Scholar
- Pokorny, J. & E. Rejmankova, 1983. Oxygen regime in a fishpond with duckweeds (Lemnaceae) and Ceratophyllum. Aquat. Bot. 17: 125–137.Google Scholar
- Sculthorpe, C. D., 1985. The biology of aquatic vascular plants. Second Edition. Koeltz Scientific Books. Kšnigstein, Germany, 610 pp.Google Scholar
- Simpson, P S., J. W. Eaton & K. Hardwick, 1980. The influence of environmental factors on apparent photosynthesis and respiration of the submersed macrophyte Elodea canadensis. Plant Cell Envir. 3: 415–423.Google Scholar
- Tobiessen, P. & P D. Snow, 1984. Temperature and light effects on the growth of Potamogeton crispus in Collins Lake NYS. Can. J. Bot. 62: 2822–2826.Google Scholar
- Zar, J. H., 1984. Biostatistical analyses. Second edition. Prentice Hall International, Inc. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 718 pp.Google Scholar