Void growth ahead of a dominant crack in a material which deforms by coble creep
- 77 Downloads
This paper examines the process of void growth ahead of a dominant crack in a material which deforms by grain-boundary diffusion. A numerical technique recently developed by the authors is used to analyse the full interaction between void growth and deformation ahead of the crack tip. For the situation where voids only grow within a narrow zone directly ahead of the crack tip, it is possible to develop a range of simple analytical models. It is demonstrated that for this class of problem a suitable utilization of the dislocation model suggested by Thouless provides a good estimation of the void growth rate.
KeywordsGrowth Rate Mechanical Engineer Civil Engineer Material Processing Numerical Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M.D. Thouless, in Mechanics of Creep Brittle Materials, 1, A.C.F. Cocks and A.R.S. Ponter (eds.) Elsevier, England (1989) 49–62.Google Scholar
- 3.G.A. Webster, in Mechanics of Creep Brittle Materials, 1, A.C.F. Cocks and A.R.S. Ponter, (eds.) Elsevier, England (1989) 36–48.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Pan and A.C.F. Cocks, International Journal of Fracture 60 (1993) 121–134.Google Scholar
- 7.A.C.F. Cocks, in Applied Solid Mechanics 3, I.M. Allison and C. Ruiz (eds.) Elsevier, North Holland (1989).Google Scholar
- 9.A.C.F. Cocks, in Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Creep and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures (1990).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Pan and A.C.F. Cocks, NAD-GB: A computer program for the numerical analysis of diffusion along grain-boundaries in engineering materials, Internal Report of Engineering Department, Cambridge University, CUED/C-MATS/TR. 190., July 1991.Google Scholar