Field and laboratory studies on Daphnia carinata King (Cladocera: Daphnidae) from a seasonal tropical pond
- 113 Downloads
The life history and seasonal variation in egg production of Daphnia carinata King, with reference to the seasonal variation in physico-chemical as well as biological factors of a tropical temporary pond, were studied. Laboratory observations on the life history of D. carinata were also made. The seasonal events of D. carinata are discussed in relation to recent studies on Cladocerans.
KeywordsTemporary tropical ponds life cycle Daphnia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, B. G., Lumera, H. & Zupanic, L. J., 1937. Growth and variability in Daphnia pulex. Biol. Bull. 73: 444–63.Google Scholar
- Anderson, B. G. & Jenkins, J. C., 1942. A time study of events in the life span of Daphnia magna. Biol. Bull. 83: 260–72.Google Scholar
- Banta, A. M. & Wood, 1939. ‘Studies on the physiology, genetics and evolution of some Cladocera’ Carnegic Institute of Washington Department of Genetics. Paper No. 39: 131–81.Google Scholar
- Edmondson, W. T., 1971. A manual in methods for the assesment of secondary productivity in freshwater. IBP Hand Book No. 17 Blackwell, oxford, p. 358.Google Scholar
- Green, J., 1955. Studies on a population of Daphnia magna. J. Anim. Ecol. 24: 84–97.Google Scholar
- Michael, R. G., 1962. Seasonal events in a natural population of the Cladocesan Cesiodaphnia cosnuta Sars and Observation on its life cycle. J. zool. soc. Ind. Vol. 14: 211–218.Google Scholar
- Murugan, M., 1975. The biology of Ceriodaphnia cornuta Sars (Cladocera: Daphnidae) Journal of the Inland Fisheries Society of India. Vol. VII: 80–87.Google Scholar
- Navaneethakrishnan, P. & Michael, R. G., 1971. Egg production and growth in Daphnia carinata King Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. 73: 117–23.Google Scholar