The extraction by soil and absorption by plants of applied zinc and cadmium
- 218 Downloads
In five consecutive years lettuce, spinach, spring wheat, endive and maize were grown in pots and the effects of ‘native’ and soil-applied Zn and Cd on plant Zn and Cd concentrations were studied. The normal interactive pattern was antagonistic, Zn reducing plant Cd uptake, and conversely, but less so. Only in loam soil Zn and Cd were synergistic to some extent, plant Zn uptake increasing with applied Cd.
When relating total soil Cd/Zn to plant Cd/Zn separate sets of data could be distinguished for loam and sandy soil, each fitting a straight line. The use of 0.1 M CaCl2 instead of ‘total’ extractable soil Cd/Zn makes the two sets of data to coalesce around a single straight line. All crops were found to show a positive linear relationship between 0.1 M CaCl2-extractable soil Cd/Zn and plant Cd/Zn.
Key wordsantagonism cadmium plant availability synergism zinc plant uptake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alloway B J 1990 Heavy Metals in Soils. Blackie, Glasgow, London.Google Scholar
- Bjerre G K and Schierup H H 1985 Uptake of six heavy metals by oat as influenced by soil type and additions of cadmium, lead, zinc and copper. Plant and Soil 88, 57–69.Google Scholar
- Hagiri F 1974 Plant uptake of cadmium as influenced by cation exchange capacity, organic matter, zinc and soil temperature. J. Environ. Qual. 3, 180–183.Google Scholar
- Hardiman R T, Jacoby B and Banin A 1984 Factors affecting the distribution of cadmium, copper and lead and their effect upon yield and zinc content in bush beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Plant and Soil 81, 17–27.Google Scholar
- Kiekens L, Cottenie A and VanLandschoot G 1984 Chemical activity and biological effect of sludge-borne heavy metals and inorganic metal salts added to soils. Plant and Soil 79, 89–99.Google Scholar
- Page A L, Bingham F T and Chang A C 1981 Cadmium. In Effect of Heavy Metal Pollution on Plants. Vol. I: Effects of Trace Elements on Plant Function. Ed. N WLepp. pp 77–109. Applied Science Publiishers, London.Google Scholar
- Purves D 1985 Trace Element Contamination of the Environment. Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Strickland R C, Chaney W R and Lamoreaux R J 1979 Organic matter influences phytotoxicity of cadmium to soybeans. Plant and Soil 52, 393–402.Google Scholar
- VanDriel W and Smilde K W 1990 Micronutrients and heavy metals in Dutch agriculture. Fert. Res. 25, 115–126.Google Scholar