Development of nori markets in the western world
Extensive effort has been made over the past decade to introduce nori (species of Porphyra) farming in North America and other western countries. A key aspect has been the evaluation of markets within these countries and in the region as a whole. This report is an overview of relevant market data, including: (1) estimates of market sizes and values; (2) trends observed in these data over time, including extrapolations into the future; (3) typical market structures from producer to consumer; (4) examples of specific marketing efforts and their status. Possible activities that could enhance future prospects for these products within the markets of the western world are discussed.
Key wordsnori Porphyra marketing aquaculture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Japan Ministry of Finance (1976–1991) Japan exports & imports: commodity by country. Customs and Tariff Bureau, Ministry of Finance, Tokyo, Japan.Google Scholar
- Kramer, Chin and Mayo, Inc. (1982) Market analysis and preliminary economic analysis for products of the red seaweed Porphyra. Washington State Department of Natural Resources, Olympia, Washington. 240 pp.Google Scholar
- Merrill JE (1989) Commercial Nori (Porphyra) sea farming in Washington State. In Kain JM, Andrews JW, McGregor BJ (eds), Aquatic Primary Biomass — Marine Macroalgae: Outdoor Seaweed Cultivation. Proc. COST 48 Workshop on Outdoor Seaweed Cultivation. EEC, Brussels, 90–100.Google Scholar
- Mumford TF Jr (1987) Seaweed aquaculture program: Report to the Legislature, State of Washington. Washington Department of Natural Resources, Olympia, Washington. 43 pp.Google Scholar
- Mumford TF Jr (1990) Nori cultivation in North America: growth of the industry. In Lindstrom SC, Gabrielson PW (eds), Thirteenth International Seaweed Symposium, Developments in Hydrobiology 58. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 89–98. Reprinted from Hydrobiologia 204/205.Google Scholar
- Mumford TF Jr, Miura A (1989) Porphyra as food: cultivation and economics. In Waaland JR, Lembi CA (eds) Algae and Human Affairs. Cambridge U.P., New York, 87–117.Google Scholar
- Zen-Nori (1981) Third west coast nori market survey report. June 1981. Japanese Federation of Nori and Shellfish Fisheries Cooperative Associations, Tokyo, 20 pp.Google Scholar
- [In Japanese; Daisankai Amerika Nishi Kaigan Nori Ichiba Shisatsu Hokokusho, 1981–6. English translation by M. and L. Mottet for Washington Department of Natural Resources, Olympia, Washington; 1983].Google Scholar