Landfill Leachate Ecotoxicity
- Sylvia Waara
- … show all 1 hide
Landfill leachate is according to the EU Council Directive 1999/31EC defined as “any liquid percolating through deposited waste and emitted or contained within a landfill.” This definition of landfill leachate will be used in this entry, and any ecotoxicity detected in this type of effluent will be termed landfill leachate ecotoxicity.
Limitations in the Study
To date, most information acquired on the physical and chemical characteristics of landfill leachate has been on MSW (municipal solid waste) landfill leachate. The studies presented and discussed in this entry are therefore mainly considering landfill leachate derived from MSW landfills or MSW landfills with some hazardous waste. Thus, effluents from hazardous industrial waste sites only have not been included nor have studies on waste ecotoxicity before deposition. The entry refers to several references; however, it should not be considered as a complete review.
The Complex and Varying Co ...
- Landfill Leachate Ecotoxicity
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Aquatic Ecotoxicology
- pp 649-670
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire des Environnements Continentaux (LIEC), Université de Lorraine
- 2. Aquatic Ecosystem Protection Research Division, Water Science and Technology Directorate, Environment Canada
- Sylvia Waara (00611)
- Author Affiliations
- 00611. Wetland Center, School of Business and Engineering, Halmstad University, 823, 301 18, Halmstad, Sweden
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.