- Maria Heloisa Barros de Oliveira FrascáAffiliated withMHB Geological Services Email author
- , Cid Chiodi FilhoAffiliated withKistemann & Chiodi – Consultancy and Projects
Building stone is a generic term referring to all naturally occurring rock (natural stone, as defined by BSI 2002) used in the building construction industry, including a wide variety of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks. If after quarrying, the rock has been selected and cut to specific sizes and shapes, it is referred as dimension stone (ASTM 2016).
The availability and durability of stones has made them a major contributor to the legacy of human history. Stones were widely used as structural elements, mostly as irregularly shaped large blocks usually closely fitted (without binders), in the construction of temples, monuments, fortifications, aqueducts, bridges, and housing.
Due to the development and technological improvement of tools and machinery, presently, building stones are quarried in la ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
Date: 2016 (Latest)History
- 2016 (Latest)
- Building Stone
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Engineering Geology
- pp 1-2
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer International Publishing
- Copyright Holder
- Springer International Publishing AG
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 2. Department of Earth Sciences, Simon Fraser University
- Author Affiliations
- 4. MHB Geological Services, Rua Monte Alegre, 1347, 05014-002, São Paulo, SP, Brazil
- 5. Kistemann & Chiodi – Consultancy and Projects, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.