How does Material Culture Extend the Mind?
- Johan De SmedtAffiliated withDepartment of Philosophy & Ethics, Ghent UniversityUehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, University of Oxford Email author
- , Helen De CruzAffiliated withSomerville College, University of OxfordCentre for Logic and Analytical Philosophy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Material Culture and the Brain
Humans rely extensively on material culture when they are thinking, including when they are involved in reasoning tasks that require creative solutions. Examples are measuring devices like compasses and barometers; external memory aids like calendars, books, and maps; calculating instruments like abaci and slide rules; and highly specialized tools like imaging software. Even a brief look around one’s desk suffices to indicate that humans are surrounded by artifacts that are specifically designed to perform a variety of cognitive tasks. Why do humans rely so extensively on external tools? What are the kinds of cognitive tasks that material culture helps them to accomplish? How are they instrumental in helping them complete such tasks? This entry of the extended cognition literature will loo ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- How does Material Culture Extend the Mind?
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Creativity, Invention, Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- pp 863-869
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Information Systems & Technology, Management, School of Business, George Washington University
- Author Affiliations
- 03671. Department of Philosophy & Ethics, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
- 03672. Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- 03673. Somerville College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- 03674. Centre for Logic and Analytical Philosophy, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kardinaal Mercierplen 2, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.