- Aditi Mehta
- … show all 1 hide
Light therapy is most often used in clinical settings, as a treatment for seasonal affective disorder (SAD). SAD is a type of depression that sets in the winter, as the daylight time decreases. The concept of light therapy is based on the existence of a circadian rhythm that refers to 24‐h cycles of rest and activity that involve changes in the body, depending on the time of day or night. During winters, light therapy compensates for the deficit of natural light that is believed to be related to depression.
Light therapy is also sometimes used to treat insomnia; elderly people, in particular, may be good candidates for light therapy. A Japanese study showed significant improvement in behavior problems in patients with dementia who were exposed to morning bright light. This finding was later replicated in other studies.
Light therapy involves exposure to bright light in the range of 1,500–10,000 lux from a source such as a light box. The current recommendation for treatment of SAD is a mi ...
- Campbell SS, Terman M, Lewy AJ, Dijk DJ, Eastman CI, Boulos Z (1995) Light treatment for sleep disorders: Consensus report. V. Age‐related disturbances. J Biol Rhythms 10(2):151–154 CrossRef
- Lam RW (ed) (1998) Seasonal affective disorder and beyond: Light treatment for Sad and non‐Sad conditions. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, D.C.
- Mishima K, Okawa M, Hishikawa Y, Hozumi S, Hori H, Takahashi K (1994) Morning bright light therapy for sleep and behavior disorders in elderly patients with dementia. Acta Psychiatr Scand 89(1):1–7 CrossRef
- Sadock BJ, Sadock VA (2003) Synopsis of psychiatry, 9th edn. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia
- Center for Environmental Therapeutics; www.CET.org
- Medscape from WEBMD, CME in Seasonal Affective Disorder: Diagnosis and Treatment Update, Section 3‐Light Treatment: State of the Art, Lam, R.W. M.D. (12 August 2005); http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/508141_14.
- The Society for Light Treatment and Biological Rhythms; www.SLTBR.org.
- wholehealthmd.com, Section Light Therapy
- Light Therapy
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Aging and Public Health
- pp 501-502
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, LLC
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.