Sampson, Ralph Allen
- Ian Elliott
- … show all 1 hide
Born Schull, Co.Cork, Ireland, 25 June 1866
Died Bath, England, 7 November 1939
British astronomer Ralph Sampson made his mark with an analysis of the dynamics of the interactions of the four large (Galilean) satellites of Jupiter. As Astronomer Royal for Scotland he also encouraged major instrumental innovations, including the development of the Shortt Free Pendulum Clock and the use of microphotometers.
Sampson was the fourth of five children of James Sampson from Cornwall and Sarah Anne (née Macdermott) Sampson, an Irishwoman of Huguenot descent. When he was five, the family moved to Liverpool, England, and suffered from deprivation when the father became ill and his investments in the Cornish tin mines failed. As a result, Sampson had little education until the age of 14, when he entered the Liverpool Institute. He won a scholarship to Saint John's College, Cambridge, where his tutor was John Adams, and he graduated as third wrangler in the mathem
- Brück, Hermann A. (1983). The Story of Astronomy in Edinburgh from Its Beginnings until 1975. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Greaves, W. M. H. (1940). “Ralph Allen Sampson.” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 100: 258–263.
- Sampson, Ralph A. (1895). “On the Rotation and Mechanical State of the Sun.” Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society 51: 123–183.
- ——— (ed.) (1896–1900). Scientific Papers of John Couch Adams. Vol. 2, pt. 1. Cambridge: University Press.
- ——— (1909). “A Discussion of the Eclipses of Jupiter's Satellites 1878–1903.” Annals of the Astronomical Observatory of Harvard College 52: 149–343.
- ——— (1910). “On the Old Observations of the Eclipses of Jupiter's Satellites.” Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society 59: 199–256.
- ——— (1910). Tables of the Four Great Satellites of Jupiter. London: Published by the University of Durham.
- ——— (1921). “Theory of the Four Great Satellites of Jupiter.” Memoirs of the Royal Astronomical Society 63.
- Sampson, Ralph Allen
- Reference Work Title
- The Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1009-1011
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.