Geothermometry and Geobarometry
- Richard F. Wendlandt
- … show all 1 hide
The estimation of pressure and temperature conditions at which a geologic material formed is referred to as geobarometry and geothermometry, respectively, and collectively termed geothermobarometry. Geothermometers and geobarometers are commonly based on mineral assemblage and mineral composition information. This brief article emphasizes mineral-based geothermobarometry; however, estimation of pressure and temperature information is not restricted to investigations of solid phases and the principles discussed have more generic applications. The fundamental premise of geothermobarometry is that a rock's mineral assemblage and mineral compositions are sensitive to pressure and temperature conditions of formation and that events subsequent to mineral equilibration have not significantly modified these rock properties. The development of a geothermometer or geobarometer typically requires extensive experimental and theoretical calibration prior to use ...
- Bohlen, S.R. and Lindsley, D.H. (1987) Thermometry and barometry of igneous and metamorphic rocks. Annu. Rev. Earth Planet. Sci., 15, 397–420.
- Spear, F.S. (1993) Metamorphic Phase Equilibria and Pressure–Temperature–Time Paths. Washington, DC: Mineralogical Society of America, 799 pp.
- Spear, F.S. and Peacock, S.M. (1989) Metamorphic Pressure–Temperature–Time Paths. Short Course in Geology, Vol. 7. Washington, DC: American Geophysical Union, 102 pp.
- Wood, B.J. and Fraser, D.G. (1976) Elementary Thermodynamics for Geologists. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 303 pp.
- Analytical techniques; Calorimetry; Fluids in volcanic and plutonic environments; Geochemical reference materials; Geochemical thermodynamics; Geochemistry: low temperature; Geothermal systems; Geothermometers; Magmatic processes; Metamorphic environments; Paragenesis; Thermochemistry; Volcanic gases; Volcanism
- Geothermometry and Geobarometry
- Reference Work Title
- Reference Work Part
- pp 305-307
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Science
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.