Vertical Seismic Profiling
Vertical Seismic Profiling A geophysical technology for measuring the seismic properties in a profile of the earth using a set of sources and receivers, either of which are placed along the depth (vertical) axis.
Vertical seismic profiling (commonly abbreviated to the name VSP) is a major technique in geophysical exploration, which involves measuring downgoing and upgoing seismic wavefields through a stratigraphic sequence. Shortly after the first attempts of developing surface reflection seismology, where both sources and receivers were at the surface, the line of research set out with the idea of burying either sources or receivers in boreholes. McCollum and LaRue (1931) proposed that local geologic structure could be determined from measuring the arrival of seismic energy from surface sources with buried receivers. This geometry forms the basic principle of determining seismic wave propagation velocities from VSP measurem ...
- Kirtland Grech, M. G., Lawton, D. C., and Cheadle, S., 2001. Integrated Pre-stack Depth Migration of VSP and Surface Seismic Data. CSEG, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, November Issue: 50–56.
- Bakulin, A., and Calvert, R., 2004. Virtual Source: New Method for Imaging and 4D Below Complex Overburden. Society of Exploration Geophysicists Expanded Abstracts, 23, 2477–2481.
- Hardage, B. A., Helbig, K., and Treitel, S., 1985. Vertical Seismic Profiling, Handbook of Geophysical Exploration, Seismic Exploration: Geophysical Press. Elsevier Science Ltd, The Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford, OX5, GB, UK.
- Jiang, Z, Yu, J, Schuster, GT (2005) Migration of multiples. The Leading Edge 24: pp. 315-318 CrossRef
- Maultzsch, S, Chapman, M, Liu, E, Li, X-Y (2007) Modeling and analysis of attenuation anisotropy in multi-azimuth VSP data from the clair field. Geophysical Prospecting 55: pp. 627-642 CrossRef
- McCollum, B, LaRue, WW (1931) Utilization of existing wells in seismograph work. Early Geophysical Papers 1: pp. 119-127
- O’Brien, J, Harris, R (2006) Multicomponent VSP imaging of tight-gas sands. Geophysics 71: pp. 83-90 CrossRef
- Vasconcelos, I, Snieder, R, Hornby, B (2008) Imaging of internal muliples from subsalt VSP data – Examples of target-oriented interferometry. Geophysics 73: pp. 157-168 CrossRef
- Xiao, X, Zhou, M, Schuster, GT (2006) Salt-flank delineation by interferometric imaging of transmitted P- to S-waves. Geophysics 71: pp. 197-207 CrossRef
- Vertical Seismic Profiling
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Solid Earth Geophysics
- pp 1507-1509
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Harsh K. Gupta (500)
- Editor Affiliations
- 500. National Geophysical Research Institute, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research
- Author Affiliations
- 181. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California at Berkeley, 412 Davis Hall, 94709, Berkeley, CA, USA
- 182. Applied Geophysics, Institute of Engineering Seismology and Earthquake Engineering (ITSAK), 46 G. Scholis, 5355102, Thessaloniki, Greece
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.