Enzymes in Soils
- Małgorzata Brzezińska
- … show all 1 hide
Soil enzymes. Enzymes in any of the states of occurrence in soils (Ladd et al., 1996).
Numerous processes in soil depend on enzymatic catalysis, including organic matter decomposition, gas emission and sink, pollutants breakdown, energy flow, and nutrient cycling in ecosystem.
Enzymes in soils are associated with different soil constituents. Intracellular enzymes are present in proliferating microorganisms (primarily bacteria and fungi), plant roots, and soil microfauna, or attached to dead cells and cell debris. Numerous extracellular enzymes usually operate at a distance from the parent cell; the capacity to produce and secrete biocatalysts is of survival importance for soil microorganisms and plants. Enzymes in the liquid phase (extracellular as well as released from lysed cells) have generally a short half-life due to rapid denaturation and degradation. However, when complexed with clay minerals or humic colloids, enzymes retain their catalytic properties for a lo ...
- Bastida, F., Zsolnay, A., Hernández, T., and García, C., 2008. Past, present and future of soil quality indices: a biological perspective. Geoderma, 147, 159–171.
- Burns, R. G., 1978. Soil Enzymes. London: Academic Press.
- Ladd, J. N., Foster, R. C., Nannipieri, P., and Oades, J. M., 1996. Soil structure and biological activity. In Stotzky, G., and Bollag, J. M. (eds.), Soil Biochemistry. New York: Marcel Dekker, Vol. 9, pp. 23–77.
- Nannipieri, P., Kandeler, E., and Ruggiero, P., 2002. Enzyme activities and microbiological and biochemical processes in soil. In Burns, R. G., and Dick, R. P. (eds.), Enzymes in the Environment: Activity, Ecology, and Applications. New York: Marcel Dekker, pp. 1–33.
- Skujins, J. J., 1967. Enzymes in soils. In McLaren, A. D., and Peterson, G. H. (eds.), Soil Biochemistry. New York: Marcel Dekker, Vol. 1, pp. 371–414.
- Enzymes in Soils
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Agrophysics
- pp 274-275
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 500. Institute of Agrophysics, Polish Academy of Sciences
- Małgorzata Brzezińska (511)
- Author Affiliations
- 511. Institute of Agrophysics, Polish Academy of Sciences, ul. Doświadczalna 4, 20-290, Lublin, Poland
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.