Crystal – A solid material whose constituent atoms, molecules, or ions are arranged in an orderly repeating pattern such that regularly spaced atomic planes are found in three dimensions.
Firn – Compacted snow that has survived at least one melt season in a temperate glacier, or, in a Polar Region, compacted snow that underlies fresh snow, if any, and has undergone some metamorphism.
Firn-ice transition – The change from a packed granular material containing interconnected pores to a polycrystalline solid containing individual bubbles.
Grain – A small single piece of a substance. In firn, the term is used to refer to a single connected piece of ice, regardless of its atomic arrangement; hence, it could include one or more actual crystals. In polycrystalline ice, the terms crystal and grain are used interchangeably (Snow Grains).
Pore close-off depth – The depth at which only individual bubbles are found, rather than interconnected pores.
Snowpack – An area of naturally a ...
- Albert, M., 1996. Modeling heat, mass and species transport in polar firn. Annals of Glaciology, 23, 138–143.
- Albert, M. R., 2002. Effects of snow and firn ventilation of sublimation rates. Annals of Glaciology, 35, 52–56. CrossRef
- Albert, M. R., and Shultz, E. F., 2002. Snow and firn properties and air-snow transport processes at Summit, Greenland. Atmospheric Environment, 36(15/16), 2789–2798. CrossRef
- Bender, M., Sowers, T., and Brook, E., 1997. Gases in ice cores. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 94, 8343–8349. CrossRef
- Bender, M. L., Floch, G., Chappellaz, J., Suwa, M., Barnola, J.-M., Blunier, T., Dreyfus, G., Jouzel, J., and Parrenin, F., 2006. Gas age-ice age differences and the chronology of the Vostok ice core, 0–100 ka. Journal of Geophysical Research, 111(D21), 115–125. CrossRef
- Colbeck, S. C., 1983. Theory of metamorphism of dry snow. Journal of Geophysical Research, 88, 5475–5482. CrossRef
- Colbeck, S. C., 1989. Air movements in snow due to wind pumping. Journal of Glaciology, 35, 209–213. CrossRef
- Craig, H., Horibe, Y., and Sowers, T., 1988. Gravitation separation of gasses and isotopes in polar ice caps. Science, 242, 1675–1678. CrossRef
- Domine, F., Lauzier, T., Cabanes, A., Legagneux, L., Kuhs, W. F., Techmer, K., and Heinrichs, T., 2003. Snow metamorphism as revealed by scanning electron microscopy. Microscopy Research and Technique, 62, 33–48. CrossRef
- Fain, X., Ferrari, C. P., Dommergue, A., Albert, M., Battle, M., Arnaud, L., Barnola, J. M., Cairns, W., Barbante, C., and Boutron, C., 2008. Mercury in the snow and firn at Summit Station, central Greenland and implications for the study of past atmospheric mercury levels. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 8, 3441–3457. CrossRef
- Hawley, R., Waddington, E. D., Morse, D. L., Dunbar, N. W., and Zielinski, G. A., 2002. Dating firn cores by vertical strain measurements. Journal of Glaciology, 48(162).
- Schwander, J., Sowers, T., Barnola, J. M., Blunier, T., Fuchs, A., and Malaize, B., 1997. Age scale of air in the summit ice: implications for glacial-interglacial temperature change. Journal of Geophysical Research, 102, 19483–19493. CrossRef
- Sowers, T., Bender, M., Raynard, D., and Korotkevich, Y. S., 1992. δ15N of N2 in air trapped in polar ice: a tracer of gas transport in the firn and a possible constraint on ice age-gas age differences. Journal of Geophysical Research, 97(D14), 15,683–15,697. CrossRef
- Spencer, M. K., Alley, R. B., Fitzpatrick, J. J., 2006. Developing a bubble number-density paleoclimatic indicator for glacier ice. Journal of Glaciology, 52(178), 358–364.
- Swinkels, F. B., and Ashby, M. F., 1980. A second report on sintering diagrams. Metallurgica, 29, 259–281.
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Snow, Ice and Glaciers
- pp 290-293
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Texas A&M University
- 3. University of Dayton
- Author Affiliations
- 64. Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, 03755, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.