Crystal – A solid material whose constituent atoms, molecules, or ions are arranged in an orderly repeating pattern such that regularly spaced atomic planes are found in three dimensions.
Firn – Compacted snow that has survived at least one melt season in a temperate glacier, or, in a Polar Region, compacted snow that underlies fresh snow, if any, and has undergone some metamorphism.
Firn-ice transition – The change from a packed granular material containing interconnected pores to a polycrystalline solid containing individual bubbles.
Grain – A small single piece of a substance. In firn, the term is used to refer to a single connected piece of ice, regardless of its atomic arrangement; hence, it could include one or more actual crystals. In polycrystalline ice, the terms crystal and grain are used interchangeably (Snow Grains).
Pore close-off depth – The depth at which only individual bubbles are found, rather than interconnected pores.
Snowpack – An area of naturally a ...
- Albert, M (1996) Modeling heat, mass and species transport in polar firn. Annals of Glaciology 23: pp. 138-143
- Albert, MR (2002) Effects of snow and firn ventilation of sublimation rates. Annals of Glaciology 35: pp. 52-56 CrossRef
- Albert, MR, Shultz, EF (2002) Snow and firn properties and air-snow transport processes at Summit, Greenland. Atmospheric Environment 36: pp. 2789-2798 CrossRef
- Bender, M, Sowers, T, Brook, E (1997) Gases in ice cores. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 94: pp. 8343-8349 CrossRef
- Bender, ML, Floch, G, Chappellaz, J, Suwa, M, Barnola, J-M, Blunier, T, Dreyfus, G, Jouzel, J, Parrenin, F (2006) Gas age-ice age differences and the chronology of the Vostok ice core, 0–100 ka. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: pp. 115-125 CrossRef
- Colbeck, SC (1983) Theory of metamorphism of dry snow. Journal of Geophysical Research 88: pp. 5475-5482 CrossRef
- Colbeck, SC (1989) Air movements in snow due to wind pumping. Journal of Glaciology 35: pp. 209-213 CrossRef
- Craig, H, Horibe, Y, Sowers, T (1988) Gravitation separation of gasses and isotopes in polar ice caps. Science 242: pp. 1675-1678 CrossRef
- Domine, F, Lauzier, T, Cabanes, A, Legagneux, L, Kuhs, WF, Techmer, K, Heinrichs, T (2003) Snow metamorphism as revealed by scanning electron microscopy. Microscopy Research and Technique 62: pp. 33-48 CrossRef
- Fain, X, Ferrari, CP, Dommergue, A, Albert, M, Battle, M, Arnaud, L, Barnola, JM, Cairns, W, Barbante, C, Boutron, C (2008) Mercury in the snow and firn at Summit Station, central Greenland and implications for the study of past atmospheric mercury levels. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 8: pp. 3441-3457 CrossRef
- Hawley, R., Waddington, E. D., Morse, D. L., Dunbar, N. W., and Zielinski, G. A., 2002. Dating firn cores by vertical strain measurements. Journal of Glaciology, 48(162).
- Schwander, J, Sowers, T, Barnola, JM, Blunier, T, Fuchs, A, Malaize, B (1997) Age scale of air in the summit ice: implications for glacial-interglacial temperature change. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: pp. 19483-19493 CrossRef
- Sowers, T, Bender, M, Raynard, D, Korotkevich, YS (1992) δ15N of N2 in air trapped in polar ice: a tracer of gas transport in the firn and a possible constraint on ice age-gas age differences. Journal of Geophysical Research 97: pp. 15683-15697 CrossRef
- Spencer, M. K., Alley, R. B., Fitzpatrick, J. J., 2006. Developing a bubble number-density paleoclimatic indicator for glacier ice. Journal of Glaciology, 52(178), 358–364.
- Swinkels, FB, Ashby, MF (1980) A second report on sintering diagrams. Metallurgica 29: pp. 259-281
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Snow, Ice and Glaciers
- pp 290-293
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Texas A&M University
- 3. University of Dayton
- Author Affiliations
- 64. Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, 03755, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.