- Thomas H. Painter
- … show all 1 hide
Definition and introduction
Changes in snow grains and their bonds contribute to changes in snow’s albedo, microwave scattering, thermal conductivity, mechanical properties, and gas adsorption. The concept of the snow grain would seem to be easily defined and yet the complexity of the snow matrix and forms resulting from initial conditions and metamorphism renders an exact definition impossible (Mätzler, 1997). This lack of a simple definition results largely because the degree of sintering between the (always) monocrystalline particles varies enormously and concave or highly asymmetric forms are not uncommon. The concept of the snow grain to a remote sensor is substantially different from that to an avalanche forecaster, and their respective defined sizes for the same snow can vary by two orders of magnitude. Here, the concept of snow grains is described through the characterization of shape and size. (Note: sintering is described in the entry on snow bonding.)
We tend to conceptualize ...
- Adamson, AW, Dormant, LM (1966) Adsorption of nitrogen on ice at 78 Degrees K. Journal of the American Chemical Society 88: pp. 2055-2057
- Bartlett, SJ, Rüedi, J-D, Craig, A, Fierz, C (2008) Assessment of techniques for analyzing snow crystals in two dimensions. Annals of Glaciology 48: pp. 103-112
- Fierz, C, Armstrong, RL, Durand, Y, Etchevers, P, Greene, E, McClung, DM, Mishimura, K, Satyawali, PK, Sodratov, SA (2009) The International Classification for Seasonal Snow on the Ground. UNESCO-IHP, Paris
- Fily, M, Bourdelles, B, Dedieu, JP, Sergent, C (1997) Comparison of in situ and Landsat Thematic Mapper derived snow grain characteristics in the Alps. Remote Sensing of Environment 59: pp. 452-460
- Flin, F, Brzoska, JB, Coeurjolly, D, Pieritz, RA, Lesaffre, B, Coleou, C, Lamboley, P, Teytaud, O, Vignoles, GL, Delesse, JF (2005) Adaptive estimation of normals and surface area for discrete 3-D objects: Application to snow binary data from X-ray tomography. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 14: pp. 585-596
- Haran, T., Bohlander, J., Scambos, T., Painter, T. H., and Fahnestock, M., 2005. MODIS Mosaic of Antarctica (MOA) Image Map. Boulder, CO: National Snow and Ice Data Center.
- Kerbrat, M, Pinzer, B, Huthwelker, T, Gaggeler, HW, Ammann, M, Schneebeli, M (2008) Measuring the specific surface area of snow with X-ray tomography and gas adsorption: comparison and implications for surface smoothness. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 8: pp. 1261-1275
- Kokhanovsky, AA, Zege, EP (2004) Scattering optics of snow. Applied Optics 43: pp. 1589-1602
- Legagneux, L, Cabanes, A, Dominé, F (2002) Measurement of the specific surface area of 176 snow samples using methane adsorption at 77 K. Journal of Geophysical Research 107: pp. 4335-4349
- Macke, A, Mishchenko, M (1996) Applicability of regular particle shapes in light scattering calculations for atmospheric ice particles. Applied Optics 35: pp. 4291-4296
- Matzl, M, Schneebeli, M (2006) Measuring specific surface area of snow by near infrared photography. Journal of Glaciology 52: pp. 558-564
- Mätzler, C (1997) Autocorrelation functions of granular media with free arrangement of spheres, spherical shells or ellipsoids. Journal of Applied Physics 81: pp. 1509-1517
- Mishchenko, M, Dlugach, JM, Yanovitskij, EG, Zakharova, NT (1999) Bidirectional reflectance of flat, optically thick particulate layers: an efficient radiative transfer solution and applications to snow and soil surfaces. Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 63: pp. 409-432
- Nolin, AW, Dozier, J (2000) A hyperspectral method for remotely sensing the grain size of snow. Remote Sensing of Environment 74: pp. 207-216
- Painter, TH, Paden, B, Dozier, J (2003) Automated spectro-goniometer: a spherical-robot for the measurement of the directional reflectance of snow. Reviews of Scientific Instruments 74: pp. 5179-5188
- Painter, T. H., and Dozier, J., 2004, Measurements of the hemispherical-directional reflectance of snow at fine spectral and angular resolution, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, 109(D18): D1811510.1029/2003JD004458.
- Painter, TH, Molotch, NP, Cassidy, MP, Flanner, MG, Steffen, K (2007) Contact spectroscopy for the determination of stratigraphy of snow grain size. Journal of Glaciology 53: pp. 121-127
- Painter, TH, Rittger, K, McKenzie, C, Slaughter, P, Davis, RE, Dozier, J (2009) Retrieval of subpixel snow covered area, grain size, and albedo from MODIS. Remote Sensing of Environment 113: pp. 868-879
- Scambos, T, Haran, T, Fahnestock, M, Painter, TH, Bohlander, J (2007) MODIS-based Mosaic of Antarctica (MOA) data sets: Continent-wide surface morphology and snow grain size. Remote Sensing of Environment 111: pp. 242-257
- Snow Grains
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Snow, Ice and Glaciers
- pp 1050-1053
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.