Appalachian Glacier Complex in Maritime Canada
- Rudolph R. Stea
- … show all 1 hide
The Appalachian Glacier Complex is defined as a series of local ice centers and divides that developed in Maritime Canada during the Wisconsinan glaciation, effectively barring Laurentide ice from the region.
At the turn of the last century when the first geological maps were being completed in the Maritime Provinces of Canada (Figure 1), a controversy emerged about the nature of glaciation in the area that still resonates today. Was the ice local, originating in Appalachian upland areas or was it part of the Laurentide Ice Sheet (LIS) with its center in Québec.Appalachian Glacier Complex in Maritime Canada, Figure 1
These two opposing models of glaciation for the Maritime Provinces have come to be known as the “minimum” and “maximum” models. The maximum model invokes the LIS covering the entire region during the last glacial maximum (LGM) (∼20 kyr BP) (Flint, 1971; Mayewski et al., 1981; Dyke et al ...
- Barr, SM, White, CE, Venugopal, DV, Hamilton, MA, Stirling, JAR (2001) Petrology and age of the lower Coverdale high-Ti, P, and V gabbro-anorthosite complex and associated granite, Moncton area.
- Belknap, DF, Shipp, RC, Kelley, JT, Schnitker, D Depositional sequence modelling of late Quaternary geologic history, west central Maine. In: Tucker, RD, Marvinney, RG eds. (1989) Studies in Maine Geology. Geological Survey of Maine, Augusta, Maine, pp. 29-46
- Chalmers, R., 1895. Report on the surface geology of eastern New Brunswick, north-western Nova Scotia and a Portion of Prince Edward Island. Geological Survey of Canada, Annual Report, 1894, 1(7), pt. m.
- Dredge, LA, Thorleifson, LH (1987) The middle Wisconsinan history of the Laurentide ice sheet. Géographie physique et Quaternaire 41: pp. 215-236
- Dyke, AS, Prest, VK Late Wisconsinan and Holocene history of the Laurentide ice sheet. In: Fulton, RJ, Andrews, JT eds. (1987) The Laurentide Ice Sheet. Géographie physique et Quaternaire. pp. 237-264
- Dyke, AS, Andrews, JT, Clark, PU, England, JH, Miller, GH, Shaw, J, Veillette, JJ (2002) The Laurentide and Innuitian ice sheets during the Last Glacial Maximum. Quaternary Science Reviews 21: pp. 9-31
- Flint, RF (1971) Glacial and Quaternary Geology. Wiley, New York
- Grant, DR (1977) Glacial style and ice limits, the Quaternary stratigraphic record and changes of land and ocean level in the Atlantic Provinces, Canada. Géographie physique et Quaternaire 31: pp. 247-260
- Grant, DR Quaternary Geology of the Atlantic Appalachian region of Canada. In: Fulton, RJ eds. (1989) Chapter 5 Quaternary Geology of Canada and Adjacent Greenland. pp. 393-440
- Grant, DR (1994) Quaternary Geology, Cape Breton Island.
- King, LH (1996) Late Wisconsinan ice retreat from the Scotian Shelf. Geological Society of America Bulletin 108: pp. 1056-1067
- Mayewski, A, Denton, GH, Hughes, TJ Late Wisconsin Ice Sheets in North America; Chapter 2. In: Denton, GH, Hughes, TJ eds. (1981) The Last Great Ice Sheets. Wiley, New York, pp. 67-178
- Mosher, DC, Piper, DJW, Vilks, GV, Aksu, AE, Fader, GB (1989) Evidence for Wisconsinan glaciations in the Verrill Canyon area, Scotian Slope. Quaternary Research 31: pp. 27-40
- Olejczyk, P, Gray, JT (2007) The relative influence of Laurentide and local ice sheets during the last glacial maximum in the eastern Chic-Chocs Range, northern Gaspé Peninsula, Quebec. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 44: pp. 1603-1625
- Parkhill, MA, Doiron, A Quaternary geology of the Bathurst Mining Camp and implications for base metal exploration using drift prospecting. In: Goodfellow, WD, McCutcheon, SR, Peter, JM eds. (2003) Massive Suphide Deposits of the Bathurst Mining Camp, New Brunswick and Northern Maine. pp. 631-660
- Prest, VK, Grant, DR (1969) Retreat of the last ice sheet from the Maritime Provinces – Gulf of St. Lawrence region. Geological Survey of Canada Paper 6933. pp. 15
- Prest, VK, Donaldson, JA, Mooers, HD (2001) The omar story: The role of omars in assessing glacial history of west-central North America. Géographie physique et Quaternaire 54: pp. 257-270
- Prest, VK, Nielsen, E The Laurentide ice sheet and long distance transport. In: Kujansuu, R, Saarnisto, M eds. (1987) INQUA Till Symposium, Finland 1985. pp. 91-102
- Pronk, AG, Bobrowsky, T, Parkhill, MA (1989) An interpretation of the late Quaternary glacial flow indicators in the Baie des Chaleurs region, northern New Brunswick. Géographie physique et Quaternaire 43: pp. 179-190
- Rampton, N, Gauthier, RC, Thibault, J, Seaman, AA (1984) Quaternary Geology of New Brunswick.
- Seaman, A Late Pleistocene history of New Brunswick, Canada. In: Ehlers, J, Gibbard, PL eds. (2004) Quaternary Glaciations Extent and Chronology, Part II North America. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 151-167
- Shaw, J (2003) Submarine moraines in Newfoundland coastal waters: Implications for the deglaciation of Newfoundland and adjacent areas. Quaternary International 99–100: pp. 115-134
- Shaw, J, Piper, DJW, Fader, GBJ, King, EL, Todd, BJ, Bell, T, Batterson, MJ, Liverman, DGE (2006) A conceptual model of the deglaciation of Atlantic Canada. Quaternary Science Reviews 25: pp. 2059-2081
- Stea, RR Relict and palimpsest glacial landforms in Nova Scotia, Canada. In: Warren, WP, Groot, DG eds. (1994) Formation and Deformation of Glacial Deposits. pp. 141-158
- Stea, RR The Appalachian Glacier Complex in Maritime Canada. In: Ehlers, J, Gibbard, PL eds. (2004) Quaternary Glaciations Extent and Chronology, Part II North America. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 213-232
- Stea, RR, Mott, RJ (2005) Younger Dryas glacial advance in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada: analogue for ice inception?. Boreas 34: pp. 345-362
- Stea, RR, Pe-Piper, G (1999) Using whole-rock geochemistry to locate the source of igneous erratics from drumlins on the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia. Boreas 28: pp. 308-325
- Stea, RR, Wightman, DM (1987) Age of the Five Islands Formation, Nova Scotia and the deglaciation of the Bay of Fundy. Quaternary Research 27: pp. 211-219
- Stea, RR, Conley, H, Brown, Y (1992) Surficial geology of the Province of Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia Department of Natura1 Resources.
- Stea, RR, Piper, DJW, Fader, GBJ, Boyd, R (1998) Wisconsinan glacial and sea-level history of Maritime Canada, a correlation of land and sea events. Geological Society of America Bulletin 110: pp. 821-845
- Stea, RR, Fader, GBJ, Scott, DB, Wu, P Glaciation and relative sea-level change in Maritime Canada. In: Weddle, TK, Retelle, MJ eds. (2001) Deglacial History and Relative Sea-Level Changes, Northern New England and Adjacent Canada. pp. 35-49
- Appalachian Glacier Complex in Maritime Canada
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Snow, Ice and Glaciers
- pp 54-58
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences Series
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media B.V.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.