Pediatric anesthesiology is the study of the subspecialty of anesthesiology that relates to the anesthetic care provided to neonates, infants, and children.
Administration of anesthesia for pediatric otorhinolaryngology procedures combines the use of pharmacology, physiology, and good communication skills between the anesthesiologist, surgeon, patient, and the patient’s caretakers. The practice of anesthesiology includes preoperative evaluation, intraoperative anesthetic management, and postoperative care while using different medication classes to produce anxiolysis, amnesia, hypnosis, analgesia, and muscle relaxation (when indicated) – all while maintaining hemodynamic stability.
General Anesthetic Themes
Preoperatively, a history and physical is performed, including a detailed airway exam. The anesthetic plan is discussed with the patient and their family, and laboratory or specialty tests are c ...
- Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- pp 2077-2089
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Medical College of Georgia
- Author Affiliations
- 04031. Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas, Children’s Medical Center Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX, 75390, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.