- Igor V. Chizhov
- … show all 1 hide
Pulsed-laser transient spectroscopy; Time-resolved light-induced reactions
Flash photolysis is “a technique of transient spectroscopy and transient kinetic studies in which a light pulse is used to produce transient species. Commonly, an intense pulse of short duration is used to produce a sufficient concentration of a transient species suitable for spectroscopic observation” (IUPAC 1997).
In 1967 Ronald Norrish, George Porter, and Manfred Eigen were awarded the Nobel Prize for studies of extremely fast chemical reaction, effected by disturbing the equilibrium by means of very short impulses of energy. The flash photolysis method is one those famous relaxation techniques which were developed by laureates and many other scientists in the last half of twentieth century. As it happens quite often in history of science, a technique developed in wartime has been applied in unexpected way. In 1948, George Porter realized that high int ...
- Chizhov I, Chernavskii DS, Engelhard M, Müller KH, Zubov BV, Hess B. Spectrally silent transitions in the bacteriorhodopsin photocycle. Biophys J. 1996;71:2329–45.
- Dobler J, Zinth W, Kaiser W, Oesterhelt D. Excited-state reaction dynamics of bacteriorhodopsin studied by femtosecond spectroscopy. Chem Phys Lett. 1988;144:215–20.
- Geeves MA, Goody RS, Gutfreund H. Kinetics of acto-S1 interaction as a guide to a model for the crossbridge cycle. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 1984;5(4):351–61.
- Huber R, Moser J-E, Graetzel M, Wachtveitl J. Real-time observation of photoinduced adiabatic electron transfer in strongly coupled dye/semiconductor colloidal systems with a 6 fs time constant. J Phys Chem B. 2002;106:6494–9.
- IUPAC. IUPAC compendium of chemical terminology, 2nd ed. Oxford: Blackwell Science; 1997.
- Porter G. Flash photolysis and spectroscopy – A new method for the study of free radical reactions. Proc R Soc Lond Ser A. 1950;200:284–300.
- Weiss S, Chizhov I, Geeves MA. A flash photolysis fluorescence/light scattering apparatus for use with sub microgram quantities of muscle proteins. J Muscle Res Cell Motil. 2000;21:423–32.
- Flash Photolysis
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Biophysics
- pp 765-768
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- European Biophysical Societies¿ Association (EBSA)
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.