Vibrational Spectroscopy, A Short History of
- Henry Mantsch
- … show all 1 hide
History of infrared spectroscopy; History of Raman spectroscopy
This entry gives a personal account of the recent history of vibrational spectroscopy of biological molecules.
Why should one actually bother writing about the history of any scientific subject when new discoveries and developments are taking place at a breathtaking rate? It is because the history behind many scientific endeavors can provide the context for future discoveries, emphasizing the fact that as a product of human activity, learning is a cumulative process. Indeed, learning more about the circumstances of how, when, and where these scientific discoveries were made helps us to be aware of the motivations that guided and drove the evolution of that subject matter. And yet not all discoveries are demand-driven as scientists wandering along the path of curiosity sometimes stumble across new findings simply by accident or serendipity; of course, these findings must then be recognized ...
- Barth, A, Haris, P Infrared spectroscopy-past and present. In: Haris, PI, Barth, A eds. (2009) Biological and biomedical infrared spectroscopy. IOS Press, Amsterdam, pp. 1-52
- Herzberg, G (1945) Molecular spectra and molecular structure. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York
- Long, DA (1988) Early history of the Raman effect. Rev Phys Chem. 7: pp. 317-49
- Long, DA (2008) 80th anniversary of the discovery of the Raman effect: a celebration. J Raman Spectrosc. 39: pp. 316-21 CrossRef
- Mantsch, H Historical survey of infrared and Raman spectroscopy of biological materials. In: Gremlich, H-U, Yan, B eds. (2001) Infrared and Raman spectroscopy of biological materials. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp. 1-14
- Vibrational Spectroscopy, A Short History of
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Biophysics
- pp 2734-2736
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- European Biophysical Societies¿ Association (EBSA)
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.