Peritoneal metastasis/dissemination; Transabdominal metastasis/dissemination
Dissemination or spread of malignant tumor throughout the peritoneal (abdominal and pelvic) cavity.
Transcoelomic (meaning “across the peritoneal cavity”) metastasis refers to the dissemination of malignant tumors throughout the surfaces and organs of the abdominal and pelvic cavity covered by peritoneum. Transcoelomic metastasis can occur as a result of invasion into the peritoneal cavity by (1) a primary cancer arising from within the abdominal/pelvic cavity, e.g., ovarian cancer; (2) as a manifestation of systemic metastasis following haematogenous or lymphatic invasion by a primary cancer, e.g., advanced breast cancer; or (3) following intraperitoneal seeding during surgical manipulation, e.g., during surgical resection of a colorectal tumor.
The incidence of transcoelomic metastasis is higher with tumors that arise from the peritoneal cavity, ...
- Fidler, IJ (2002) Critical determinants of metastasis. Semin Cancer Biol 12: pp. 89-96 CrossRef
- Tan, DS, Agarwal, R, Kaye, SB (2006) Mechanisms of transcoelomic metastasis in ovarian cancer. Lancet Oncol 7: pp. 925-934 CrossRef
- Becker, G, Galandi, D, Blum, HE (2006) Malignant ascites: systematic review and guideline for treatment. Eur J Cancer 42: pp. 589-597 CrossRef
- Koppe, MJ, Boerman, OC, Oyen, WJ (2006) Peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin: incidence and current treatment strategies. Ann Surg 243: pp. 212-222 CrossRef
- Transcoelomic Metastasis
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Cancer
- pp 3748-3752
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Manfred Schwab (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University Professor of Genetics, German Cancer Research Center - DKFZ
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Section of Medicine, Institute of Cancer Research, The Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
- 2. Drug Development Unit, Institute of Cancer Research, The Royal Marsden Hospital, Downs Road, SM2 5PT, Sutton, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.