Leukemia diagnostics comprises the combined application of different methodologies in a standardized fashion, allowing the precise diagnosis, subclassification, and determination of prognostic parameters.
The diagnosis of leukemias today is based on a comprehensive approach applying a variety of different methods in combination. While cytomorphology and cytochemistry have been the mainstay of diagnostics for decades and have been used to differentiate between acute myeloid leukemia (AML), acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), chronic myeloid leukemia (CML), chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), and myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), the current up-to-date approach includes immunophenotyping/Multiparameter flow cytometry (MFC) as well as cytogenetics and molecular genetics to correctly diagnose and subclassify leukemias.
Multiparameter flow cytometry (MFC) is used for immunophenotyping of the leukemic cells which is essential particu ...
- Haferlach C, Rieder H, Lillington DM et al (2007) Proposals for standardized protocols for cytogenetic analyses of acute leukemias, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, chronic myeloid leukemia, chronic myeloproliferative disorders, and myelodysplastic syndromes. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 46:494–499
- Kern W, Schoch C, Haferlach T et al (2005) Monitoring of minimal residual disease in acute myeloid leukemia. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 56:283–309
- Schnittger S, Schoch C, Kern W et al (2004) FLT3 length mutations as marker for follow-up studies in acute myeloid leukaemia. Acta Haematol 112:68–78
- Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H et al (2001) World Health Organization classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. IARC Press, Lyon
- Haferlach T, Kern W, Schnittger S et al (2005) Modern diagnostics in acute leukemias. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 56:223–234
- Leukemia Diagnostics
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Cancer
- pp 2005-2025
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.