Fecal Immunochemical Test
- Graeme P. Young
- … show all 1 hide
Fecal occult blood test; FIT; iFOBT; Immunochemical fecal occult blood test; Immunological fecal occult blood test
A fecal immunochemical test for hemoglobin is a test designed to detect hemoglobin in feces using an antibody raised against human hemoglobin. It is one of a class of technologies referred to as fecal occult blood test (FOBT).
Fecal immunochemical tests (FIT) incorporate an antibody specific for human hemoglobin; such react with the globin protein moiety of hemoglobin.
Fate of Hemoglobin in the Gastrointestinal Tract
The globin moiety of hemoglobin is a protein and as such is rapidly digested in stomach or small intestine such that it is no longer detectable by immunochemical methods. Ingestion of blood volumes of up to 100 mL has not resulted in detectable immunoreactive hemoglobin in feces, based on reports using some of the earlier types of FIT. In other words, FIT are selective for colorectal bleeding, espec ...
- Allison JE, Tekawa IS, Ransom LJ et al (1996) A comparison of fecal-occult blood tests for colorectal-cancer screening. N Engl J Med 334:155–159 CrossRef
- Cole SR, Young GP, Esterman A et al (2003) A randomized trial of the impact of new fecal hemoglobin test technologies on population participation in screening for colorectal cancer. J Med Screen 10:117–122 CrossRef
- Levi Z, Rozen P, Hazazi R et al (2007) A quantitative immunochemical fecal occult blood test for colorectal neoplasia. Ann Intern Med 146:244–255
- Smith A, Young GP, Cole SR et al (2006) Comparison of a brush-sampling fecal immunochemical test for hemoglobin with a sensitive guaiac-based fecal occult blood test in detection of colorectal neoplasia. Cancer 107:2152–2159 CrossRef
- Young GP, Macrae FA, St John DJB (1996) Clinical methods for early detection: basis, use and evaluation. In: Young GP, Rozen P, Levin B (eds) Prevention and early detection of colorectal cancer. WB Saunders, London, pp 241–270
- Fecal Immunochemical Test
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Cancer
- pp 1387-1389
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.