Fatty Acid Transport
- Leonard A. Sauer
- … show all 1 hide
Is the process through which free fatty acids pass through the membranes of cells. The term may include: uptake of fatty acids from the blood or the extracellular space; release of fatty acids from the cell interior to the extracellular space or blood; and transport of fatty acids within the cell across intracellular membranes during biosynthesis and metabolism. While all three types of transport may occur in tumor cells, this entry concentrates on the characteristics and mechanisms for free fatty acid entry into tumor cells.
Fatty acids serve multiple functions in cells and their transport from arterial blood plasma to the cell interior is necessary for cell growth and survival. Fatty acid oxidation is a major source of energy for heat production and generation of ATP for biosynthesis and growth. During metabolism fatty acids are incorporated into several complex lipids required for cell structure and function. Fatty acids also play imp ...
- Sauer, L, Blask, D, Dauchy, R (2007) Dietary factors and growth and metabolism in experimental tumors. J Nutr Biochem 18: pp. 637-649 CrossRef
- Sauer, L, Dauchy, R, Blask, D (2001) Polyunsaturated fatty acids, melatonin, and cancer prevention. Biochem Pharm 61: pp. 1455-1462 CrossRef
- Blask, D, Sauer, L, Dauchy, R (2002) Melatonin as a chronobiotic/anticancer agent: cellular, biochemical, and molecular mechanisms of action and their implications for circadian-based cancer therapy. Curr Topics Med Chem 2: pp. 113-132 CrossRef
- Kampf, J, Kleinfeld, A (2004) Fatty acid transport in adipocytes monitored by imaging intracellular free fatty acid levels. J Biol Chem 279: pp. 35775-35780 CrossRef
- Schaffer, J (2002) Fatty acid transport: the roads taken. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282: pp. E229-E246
- Fatty Acid Transport
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Cancer
- pp 1383-1386
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.