- Françoise Roques
- … show all 1 hide
Accretion, collisions, giant planets, Jupiter, Neptune, particles, resonance, Saturn, tide, Uranus, waves
Planetary rings are systems of dust, particles, and small satellites orbiting around the giant planets of the solar system, in the nearby vicinity of a planet, where large satellites cannot form because of tidal effects.
Before observations were possible, the ancients imagined that stars were similar to the Sun and were surrounded by exoplanets, but no one imagined the possibility of planets surrounded by rings. In fact, all the giant planets are surrounded by a ring system located close to the planet. Giant planets own also large and regular satellites with prograde and circular orbits and, farther away, irregular satellites with orbits possibly retrograde and/or inclined.
The first telescope allowed Galileo Galilei to observe in 1610 that Saturn has a strange shape, which changed in course of tim ...
- Planetary Rings
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Astrobiology
- pp 1280-1284
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 601. Astrophysicist, Laboratoire d’Astrophysique de Bordeaux
- 602. Departamento de Planetología y Habitabilidad Centro de Astrobiología (CSIC-INTA), Universidad Autónoma de Madrid Campus Cantoblanco
- 603. Department of Astrophysics, Centro de Astrobiología (INTA-CSIC) Ctra de Ajalvir km 4
- 604. Geophysical Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington
- 605. Department of Astronomy, University of Massachusetts Lederle Graduate Research
- 606. GEOTOP & Départment des Sciences de la Terre et de l’Atmosphère, Université du Québec à Montréal
- 607. Astrobiology, CNES/DSP/EU
- Françoise Roques (12271)
- Author Affiliations
- 12271. Laboratoire d’Etudes Spatiales et d’Instrumentation en Astrophysique (LESIA), Observatoire de Paris, 5, Place Jules Janssen, 92195, Meudon, France
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.