Addiction Research Center Inventory
A true/false questionnaire developed at the Addiction Research Center used to assess the subjective effects of various drugs of abuse. Items include such statements as:
I have a pleasant feeling in my stomach.
I am sweating more than usual.
I have a floating feeling.
My movements seem slower than normal.
The original version had 550 such statements, but newer and shorter versions have been developed and validated as well. The most widely used version today includes only 49 items. Responses on the ARCI yield scores on various scales (five for the short form) that were empirically derived by administering known drugs of abuse and establishing the pattern of responses. For example, the Morphine-Benzedrine Group scale (MBG) is used as a proxy for the euphoric effects produced by opioids and amphetamines.
- Addiction Research Center Inventory
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Psychopharmacology
- p 20
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Ian P. Stolerman (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Section Behavioural Pharmacology, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute for Drug and Alcohol Studies, Virginia Commonwealth University, Room 760 Smith Building, 410 N 12th Street, 23298-0310, Richmond, VA, USA
- 2. Center on Drug and Alcohol Research, Department of Behavioral Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.