- Lorenzo ChiariAffiliated withDipartimento di Elettronica, Informatica e Sistemistica, Alma Mater Studiorum – Università di Bologna
Static posturography; Stabilography; Computerized stabilometry
Stabilometry is the objective study of body sway during quiet standing, i.e., stance in the absence of any voluntary movements or external perturbations. Conventionally, the study focuses on the properties of body sway during upright standing, thus far primarily measured by means of force plates. Sometimes, upper body sway is studied in sitting postures.
Stabilometry aims at collecting information indicative of the steady-state functioning of the postural control system, and of its success in stabilizing the body against gravity, by examining the properties of measures, directly or indirectly related with postural sway.
Stabilometry is a valid, objective and functional evaluation of the postural control system in its steady-state behavior . Quiet, upright stance is the basic, representative posture that is traditionally investigated in stabilometry althou ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Neuroscience
- pp 3830-3833
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag GmbH Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physiology & Biophysics, University of Washington School of Medicine
- 2. Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Graduate School of Medicine University of Tokyo Hongo
- Lorenzo Chiari (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informatica e Sistemistica, Alma Mater Studiorum – Università di Bologna, Bologna, Italia
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.