- Seda SancakAffiliated withMarmara University Medical SchoolIII. Medical Department, University of Leipzig
- , Ralf PaschkeAffiliated withIII. Medical Department, University of Leipzig
Hashimoto's disease; Goitrous autoimmune thyroiditis 
Definition and Characteristics
Positive thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPO Ab), elevated serum thyrotropin, lymphocytic infiltration of the thyroid gland and presence of a goiter on clinical examination .
There is a genetic predisposition for Hashimoto's thyroiditis, as patients with human leukocyte antigen (HLA) class I and class II (HLA-DR3, HLA-DR4, HLA-DR5), polymorphisms in the region of the cytotoxic T lymphocyte antigen 4 (CTLA-4) gene on chromosome 2q33 or on chromosomes 6p, 13q32, 12q22 are more susceptible to the development of Hashimoto's thyroiditis .
Molecular and Systemic Pathophysiology
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is characterized by diffuse lymphocytic infiltration, ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
- Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Molecular Mechanisms of Disease
- pp 775-776
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag GmbH Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.