- Michael Benatar
- … show all 1 hide
Diaphragmatic weakness; Phrenic nerve palsy; Respiratory muscle weakness
Definition and Characteristics
Inspiratory muscle weakness that results from any disease process affecting the diaphragm or the neural structures that innervate the diaphragm. Disorders of the lower motor neuron (Phrenic nerve, neuromuscular junction or muscle) are most common, but diaphragmatic paralysis may also result from injury to upper motor neuron pathways.
There are no epidemiological studies, in part because diaphragmatic paralysis is not a unitary disease entity, but rather a clinical syndrome with many diverse causes.
Diaphragmatic paralysis may be associated with a number of different genetic disorders including the hereditary motor and sensory neuropathies (Charcot-Marie Tooth disease)  and the metabolic myopathies, notably acid maltase deficiency [2,3]. Although diaphragmatic weakness may be found in several of the autosomal d ...
- Hardie R, Harding A, Hirsch N, Gelder C, Macrae A, Thomas P (1990) Diaphragmatic weakness in hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 53:348–350
- Keunen R, Lambregts P, Coul A, Joosten E (1984) Respiratory failure as initial manifestation of acid maltase deficiency. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 47:549–552
- Rosenow EC, Engel AG (1978) Acid maltase deficiency in adults presenting as respiratory failure. Am J Med 64:485–491
- Polkey MI, Green M, Moxham J (1995) Measurement of respiratory muscle strength. Thorax 50(11):1131–1135
- Newsom-Davis J (1979) The diaphragm and neuromuscular disease. Am Rev Respir Dis 119(2 Pt 2):115–117
- Houston JG, Fleet M, Cowan MD, McMillan NC (1995) Comparison of ultrasound with fluoroscopy in the assessment of suspected hemidiaphragmatic movement abnormality. Clin Radiol 50(2):95–98
- Gottesman E, McCool FD (1997) Ultrasound evaluation of the paralyzed diaphragm. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 155(5):1570–1574
- Bolton CF (1993) AAEM minimonograph #40: clinical neurophysiology of the respiratory system. Muscle Nerve 16(8):809–818
- Hughes RA, Raphael JC, Swan AV, Doorn PA (2004) Intravenous immunoglobulin for Guillain-Barre syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (1):CD002063
- Raphael JC, Chevret S, Hughes RA, Annane D (2002) Plasma exchange for Guillain-Barre syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2):CD001798
- Gajdos P, Chevret S, Toyka K (2003) Intravenous immunoglobulin for myasthenia gravis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2):CD002277
- Gajdos P, Chevret S, Toyka K (2002) Plasma exchange for myasthenia gravis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (4):CD002275
- Schneider-Gold C, Gajdos P, Toyka KV, Hohlfeld RR (2005) Corticosteroids for myasthenia gravis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev (2):CD002828
- Diaphragmatic Paralysis
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Molecular Mechanisms of Disease
- pp 526-527
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.