Surgical Management of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pearls and Pitfalls
Clinicians should have a low threshold for diagnosing and treating pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) in young women; empiric treatment of PID should be initiated in the presence of uterine and/or adnexal tenderness or cervical motion tenderness when other etiologies are not obvious.
Patients infected with Chlamydia trachomatis may present with vague symptoms as compared to patients infected with Neisseria gonorrhoeae; C. trachomatis often results in a higher rate of infertility.
Antibiotic treatment for PID should be consistent with those recommended in the most recent CDC “Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines.”
The most severe form of PID is the development of a tubo-ovarian abscess (TOA) which has the potential of progression to sepsis and death if diagnosis and treatment do not occur in a timely manner.
For pelvic abscesses, treatments include transvaginal and transcutaneous drainage; laparoscopy with irrigation and drainage or excisio ...
- Surgical Management of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
- Reference Work Title
- General Surgery
- Reference Work Part
- Section 9
- pp 1719-1730
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer London
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag London
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Deputy Director, Comprehensive Cancer Center University of Alabama School of Medicine
- 2. Department of General and Visceral Surgery, University of Heidelberg
- 3. Department of Surgery, University Hospital
- 4. James C. Mason Professor of Surgery Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- 5. Department of Clinical and Surgical Sciences, The University of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
- 6. Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong Queen Mary Hospital
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 618 20th Street South, NHB 219, 35233, Birmingham, AL
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.