Ate wiohpeyata Father, to the West
nawwajin yelo. I am standing.
Waayanka yo! Behold me!
Ite Otateya nawajin yelo The wind blowing in my face.
I am standing.
Vision Quest Song (Lakota Ceremonial Songs 1983).
The term “vision quest” describes a psychological metaphor based upon or inspired by the spiritual practice among Native American Indians. As a psychological metaphor, the “vision quest” has been used by some clinicians to illustrate the journey of understanding one’s dreams and experiences in terms of archetypical symbols related to self-understanding and individuation (see Temagami Vision Quest Program, http://www.langskib.com/outdoor-programs-for-adults). However, as the indigenous, American Indian practice, “vision quest” is what the traditional Lakota call the Hanbleceya or “crying for a vision” ceremony (see Black Elk 1953; Lame Deer (Fire) 1972; Lame Deer (Fire) 1992). Elsewhere, this ceremony is also called a “pipe fast” since the individual faster seeking ...
- Benedict, F. R. (1922). The vision in plains culture. American Anthropologist, 24, 1–23.
- Black Elk. (1953). The sacred pipe: Black Elk’s account of the seven rites of the Oglala Sioux (Recorded & edited by J. E. Brown). Norman: University of Oklahoma Press.
- Catches, P., & Catches, P. (1997). Oceti Wakan (Sacred fireplace). Pine Ridge: Oceti Wakan.
- Hawk Wing, P. (1997). Lakota teachings: Inipi, humbleciya, and yuwipi ceremonies. In D. Sandner & S. H. Wong (Eds.), The sacred heritage the influence of shamanism on analytical psychology (pp. 193–202). New York: Routledge.
- Lakota ceremonial songs. (1983). Performed by John Around Him (trans: White Hat, A. Sr., ). Rosebud: Sinte Gleska College.
- Lame Deer, A. F., & Erdoes, R. (1992). Gift of power: The life and teachings of a Lakota medicine man (with an introduction by A. M. Josephy, Jr.). Santa Fe: Bear & Company.
- Lame Deer, J., (Fire) & Erdoes, R. (1972). Lame Deer seeker of visions. New York: Washington Square Press.
- Stolzman, W. (1995). How to take part in Lakota ceremonies. Chamberlain: Tipi Press.
- Temagami Vision Quest Program, Langskib-Canoe Tripping Programs for Young People and Adults. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.langskib.com/outdoor-programs-for-adults/. Accessed 13 March 2000.
- Vision Quest
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- pp 1859-1861
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- David A. Leeming (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Connecticut
- Author Affiliations
- 2210. Department of Undergraduate Social Work, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, West Chester, PA, 19383, USA
- 2211. School of Social Welfare, College of Arts & Sciences, University of Missouri – Kansas City, 5100 Rockhill Rd, Kansas City, MO, 64110, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.