Ate wiohpeyata Father, to the West
nawwajin yelo. I am standing.
Waayanka yo! Behold me!
Ite Otateya nawajin yelo The wind blowing in my face.
I am standing.
Vision Quest Song (Lakota Ceremonial Songs 1983).
The term “vision quest” describes a psychological metaphor based upon or inspired by the spiritual practice among Native American Indians. As a psychological metaphor, the “vision quest” has been used by some clinicians to illustrate the journey of understanding one’s dreams and experiences in terms of archetypical symbols related to self-understanding and individuation (see Temagami Vision Quest Program, http://www.langskib.com/outdoor-programs-for-adults). However, as the indigenous, American Indian practice, “vision quest” is what the traditional Lakota call the Hanbleceya or “crying for a vision” ceremony (see Black Elk 1953; Lame Deer (Fire) 1972; Lame Deer (Fire) 1992). Elsewhere, this ceremony is also called a “pipe fast” since the individual faster seeking ...
- Benedict, FR (1922) The vision in plains culture. American Anthropologist 24: pp. 1-23
- Black, Elk In: Brown, JE eds. (1953) The sacred pipe: Black Elk’s account of the seven rites of the Oglala Sioux. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman
- Catches, P, Catches, P (1997) Oceti Wakan (Sacred fireplace). Oceti Wakan, Pine Ridge
- Hawk Wing, P Lakota teachings: Inipi, humbleciya, and yuwipi ceremonies. In: Sandner, D, Wong, SH eds. (1997) The sacred heritage the influence of shamanism on analytical psychology. Routledge, New York, pp. 193-202
- Lakota ceremonial songs. (1983). Performed by John Around Him (trans: White Hat, A. Sr., ). Rosebud: Sinte Gleska College.
- Lame Deer, AF, Erdoes, R (1992) Gift of power: The life and teachings of a Lakota medicine man. Bear & Company, Santa Fe
- Lame Deer, J (1972) Lame Deer seeker of visions. Washington Square Press, New York
- Stolzman, W (1995) How to take part in Lakota ceremonies. Tipi Press, Chamberlain
- Temagami Vision Quest Program, Langskib-Canoe Tripping Programs for Young People and Adults. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.langskib.com/outdoor-programs-for-adults/. Accessed 13 March 2000.
- Vision Quest
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- pp 1859-1861
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- David A. Leeming (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Connecticut
- Author Affiliations
- 2210. Department of Undergraduate Social Work, West Chester University of Pennsylvania, West Chester, PA, 19383, USA
- 2211. School of Social Welfare, College of Arts & Sciences, University of Missouri – Kansas City, 5100 Rockhill Rd, Kansas City, MO, 64110, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.