Plato and Religion
- Rod Blackhirst
- … show all 1 hide
Plato (428/427–348/347 BCE) was a Greek philosopher, a citizen of Athens, and a follower of Socrates. He founded the Academy, a school for statecraft, circa 387 BCE, his most famous student being Aristotle. His work – in the form of dialogues – has had an immeasurable influence upon Western civilization. The modern philosopher, Whitehead, once famously quipped that “the whole of Western philosophy is nothing but a series of footnotes on Plato.” The same might be said of other fields of learning where Plato’s thought has been seminal. He has made a profound contribution to both the arts and sciences, including psychology. Many aspects of his thinking foreshadow modern theories. In psychology, for example, his teachings regarding eros as a foundation for human motivation clearly foreshadow the theories of Freud, or, as some prefer, Freud’s theories are a decadent version of Plato’s earlier theory. In religious thought, Plato has long been acknowledged as prefiguring aspects of the Christ ...
- Allen, R. E. (2006). Studies in Plato’s metaphysics II. Las Vegas: Parmenides.
- Gregory, V. (Ed.). (1971). The philosophy of Socrates. New York: Anchor.
- Hamilton, E., & Cairns, H. (1961). The collected dialogues of Plato. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Jackson, R. (2001). Plato: A beginner’s guide. London: Hodder & Stroughton.
- Mohr, R. D. (2006). God and forms in Plato – and other essays in Plato’s metaphysics. Las Vegas: Parmenides.
- Nails, D. (2006). The life of Plato of Athens. In H. H. Benson (Ed.), A companion to Plato. Hoboken: Blackwell.
- Popper, K. (1945, tr.1966). The open society and its enemies (Vols I and II). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Strauss, L. (1964). The city and man. Chicago: Rand McNally.
- Taylor, A. E. (2001). Plato: The man and his work. Chelmsford: Courier Dover Publications.
- Plato and Religion
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Psychology and Religion
- pp 1341-1344
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.