Backlund, Jöns Oskar
- Raghini S. Suresh
- … show all 1 hide
BornWermland, Sweden, 28 April 1846
DiedPulkovo, Russia, 29 August 1916
Jöns Backlund is best known for his lifelong research on the motion and brightness of comet 2P/Encke. A mathematician and theoretical astronomer, Backlund earned his doctorate degree in astronomy from the University of Uppsala, Sweden, in 1875. He was hired as assistant director of the Russian Royal Observatory at Pulkovo in 1879 by Otto Wilhelm Struve. In 1883, Backlund was elected to the Imperial Russian Academy of Sciences of Petrograd, which allowed him to move to Saint Petersburg. Backlund was called upon by the Russian Academy to become the director of Pulkovo Observatory in 1895, following the resignation of Fedor Bredikhin. Backlund served in this capacity for 21 years, during which time he successfully improved the work of the observatory by employing large numbers of staff.
Backlund devoted himself to what became the passion of his lifetime, computing the orbit of the comet named for Johann Encke ...
- Baker, H. F. (1917). “Johan Oskar Backlund.” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 77: 310–314.
- McAdie, Alexander (1914). “The Award of the Bruce Medal to Dr. J. O. Backlund.” Publication of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 26: 15–18.
- Newall, H. F. (1909). “Address Delivered by the President, Mr. H. F. Newall, on Presenting the Gold Medal of the Society to Dr. Oskar Backlund.” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 69: 324–331.
- Tenn, Joseph S. (1991). “Oskar Backlund: The Eleventh Bruce Medalist.” Mercury 20, no. 6: 175–179.
- Backlund, Jöns Oskar
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- p 134
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Raghini S. Suresh (27)
- Author Affiliations
- 27. Kent State University, Kent, OH, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.