Carpenter, Edwin F.
- Thomas D. KinmanAffiliated withNational Optical Astronomy Observatory Email author
- , Jacqueline S. KinmanAffiliated with
BornBoston, Massachusetts, USA, 1 November 1898
DiedTucson, Arizona, USA, 11 February 1963
Edwin Carpenter discovered the archetypal flare star UV Ceti (1948). He earned his undergraduate degree at Harvard University in 1922 and, in 1925, received a University of California Ph.D. for work done at Lick Observatory. Also, in 1925, he joined the Department of Astronomy at the University of Arizona. In 1938, Carpenter succeeded Andrew Douglass as Department Head and Director of Steward Observatory. His principal research specialty was the absorption of starlight in interstellar space; he was responsible for moving the 36-in. aperture telescope at Steward to darker skies near Kitt Peak National Observatory.
- Carpenter, Edwin F.
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 371-372
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Author Affiliations
- 316. National Optical Astronomy Observatory, Tucson, AZ, USA
- 317. Tucson, AZ, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.