von Auwers, Arthur Julius Georg Friedrich
- Ednilson Oliveira
- … show all 1 hide
BornGöttingen, (Germany), 12 September 1838
DiedBerlin-Lichterfelde, Germany, 24 January 1915
Arthur von Auwers’s primary interest for most of his life was in preparing extremely accurate catalogs of the positions of stars.
Auwers’s father was Gottfried Daniel Auwers, master of the horses at the University in Göttingen, while his mother was Emma Christiane Sophie (née Borkenstein). He lost both parents while still a child and was sent to finish schooling at the gymnasia at Schulpforta at the age of about 12.
Auwers’s interest in astronomy originated in his early school years; in 1862, he published a work on William Herschel’s catalog of nebulae and clusters that was based on observations Auwers made, starting in about 1854. Auwers studied astronomy in Göttingen and Königsberg and was appointed assistant at the observatory in Königsberg in 1859. During this period he made observations of comets, asteroids, and variable sta ...
- von Auwers, Arthur Julius Georg Friedrich
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 2241-2243
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Ednilson Oliveira (2233)
- Author Affiliations
- 2233. Colegio Santa Maria, São Paulo, Brazil
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.