Lampland, Carl Otto
- Henry L. Giclas
- … show all 1 hide
Bornnear Hayfield, Minnesota, USA, 29 December 1873
DiedFlagstaff, Arizona, USA, 14 December 1951
Carl Lampland was involved with both of the solar system projects for which the Lowell Observatory became famous: observations of Mars and the search for “Planet X.” He also accumulated a massive collection of fine photographs of nebulae, including galaxies and gaseous nebulae, and made accurate estimates of the temperatures and temperature balances for various objects in the solar system.
Lampland was the third of 11 children born to Norwegian parents. He received a B.S. degree in 1899 from Valparaiso Normal School at Valparaiso, Indiana. Lampland then graduated with a B.A. degree in astronomy from Indiana University in 1902. He accepted a position as astronomer at the invitation of Percival Lowell from the Lowell Observatory in 1902. Lampland also received an M.A. degree in 1906 and an honorary L.L.D. in 1930 from Indiana University.
In the early years at Flagstaff, Lampland was closely asso ...
- Duncan, JC (1952) Carl Otto Lampland, 1873–1951. Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 64: pp. 293-296
- Hoyt, WG (1976) Lowell and Mars. University of Arizona Press, Tucson
- — (1980). Planets X and Pluto. Tucson: University of Arizona Press, esp. pp. 147–152, 158–159.
- Lankford, J (1997) American Astronomy: Community, Careers, and Power, 1859–1940. University of Chicago Press, Chicago
- Strauss, D (2001) Percival Lowell: The Culture and Science of a Boston Brahmin. Harvard University Press, Cambridge
- Lampland, Carl Otto
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1271-1272
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Henry L. Giclas (1210)
- Author Affiliations
- 1210. Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, AZ, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.