- Albert Bijaoui
- … show all 1 hide
BornCirey, Haute-Saône, France, 29 September 1904
DiedParis, France, 24 March 1978
While he contributed chiefly to the development and application of photomultipliers, André Lallemand also played important roles in the construction and instrumentation of French telescopes.
Lallemand was the son of Louis and Lucie Lallemand; his father was a primary-school teacher. Lallemand’s career in astronomy began in 1925 at the Strasbourg Observatory, where he served as an assistant to Ernest Esclangon. He qualified as a schoolteacher in the physical sciences in 1927 and taught at a high school in Haguenau, near Strasbourg, for a year. His doctoral research, which examined the magnetic properties of different elements of the iron family, was completed under Pierre Weiss at the Strasbourg Physical Institute. There, Lallemand acquired the experimental techniques that were essential for his later research on electronic detectors and amplifiers. He married Suzanne Ancel in 1928; the couple had two sons....
- Fehrenbach, Charles (1978). Notice nécrologique sur André Lallemand. Paris: Académie des Sciences.
- Lallemand, André (1936). “Application de l’optique électronique à la photographie.” Comptes rendus de l’Académie des sciences 203: 243–244.
- — (1962). “Photomultipliers. ” In Astronomical Techniques, edited by W. A. Hiltner, pp. 126–156. Vol. 2 of Stars and Stellar Systems. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- “Lallemand, André. ” In McGraw-Hill Modern Scientists and Engineers. Vol. 2, pp. 199–200. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1980.
- Wlérick, G. (1987). “Le cinquantenaire de la caméra électronique de Lallemand.” Journal of Optics 18: 167–176.
- Lallemand, André
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1267-1269
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Albert Bijaoui (126)
- Author Affiliations
- 126. J L Lagrange Laboratory, Observatoire de la Côte d'Azur (Côte d'Azur Observatory), CS 34229, Nice Cedex 4, 06304, France
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.