Kulik, Leonid Alexyevich
- Ursula B. Marvin
- … show all 1 hide
BornTartu, (Estonia), 19 August 1883
DiedSpas-Demensk near Smolensk, (Russia), 14 April 1942
Leonid Kulik was a leading Soviet meteoriticist who is best known for his investigations of the 1908 Tunguska, Siberia, impact site. His father was a physician. Kulik’s secondary education was completed in 1903 at the Gymnasium in the town of Troitsk, Orenburg Province, in the Ural Mountains, where he won a gold medal. He then pursued an education at the Institute of Forestry in Saint Petersburg until he was inducted into military service in 1904 and sent to Kazan on the Volga River. On his own initiative, he attended lectures at the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics at Kazan University. In 1910, Kulik was arrested for revolutionary activities but, after serving a short time in prison, was sent to the Ilmen region of the Urals. During the next 2 years (1911–1912), he was paroled to work in the Forestry Department on the condition of making frequent reports to the police chief in the town of Zlat ...
- Krinov, E. L. (1948). “L. A. Kulik as an Organizer of Meteoritics in the USSR” (in Russian). Meteoritika 4: 14–30.
- — (1960). Principles of Meteoritics, translated from the 1957 Russian edition by Irene Vidziunas; English version edited by Harrison Brown. New York: Pergamon Press.
- — (1966). Giant Meteorites, translated from the 1952 Russian edition by J. S. Romankeiwicz; English version edited by M. M. Beynon. New York: Pergamon Press.
- Kulik, L. (1935). “On the Fall of the Podkamennaya Tunguska Meteorite in 1908,” translated by Lincoln La Paz and Gerhardt Wiens. Popular Astronomy 43: 596–599.
- — (1936). “Preliminary Results of the Meteorite Expeditions Made in the Decade 1921–31,” translated by Lincoln La Paz and Gerhard Wiens. Popular Astronomy 44: 215–220.
- Marvin, Ursula B. (1986). “Meteorites, the Moon, and the History of Geology.” Journal of Geological Education 34: 140–165.
- Kulik, Leonid Alexyevich
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1254-1256
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Ursula B. Marvin (1186)
- Author Affiliations
- 1186. Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.