- Jiří Grygar
- … show all 1 hide
BornLitomysl (Czech Republic), 4 April 1914
DiedManchester, England, 23 June 1993
Czech-American-English astronomer Zdeněk Kopal is most often associated with studies of close binaries and their implications for the interior physics of stars and kinds of systems observed. A youthful enthusiastic amateur astronomer Kopal joined the Czech Astronomical Society in 1929 and became chair of its section on variable stars in 1931. He received a PhD summa cum laude in physics and mathematics at the Charles University of Prague (by then part of Czechoslovakia) in 1937; studied under Arthur Eddington in Cambridge, England, in 1938; and took an appointment at Harlow Shapley’s Harvard College Observatory at the end of that year. Kopal quickly became an American citizen and worked on ballistics for the United States Navy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology during World War II, as well as contributing to the mathematics needed for the first generation of computers. In 1951 he became professor ...
- Dyson, John (1994). “Zdenek Kopal.” Physics Today 47, no. 3: 80.
- — (1994). “Zdenek Kopal 1914–1993.” Astrophysics and Space Science 213: 171–173.
- Kopal, Z. (1986). Of Men and Stars: Reminiscences of an Astronomer. Bristol: A. Hilger.
- Meaburn, John (1994). “Zdenek Kopal (1914–1993).” Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society 35: 229–230.
- Kopal, Zdeněk
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1237-1238
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Jiří Grygar (1168)
- Author Affiliations
- 1168. Institute of Physics, Czech Academy of Sciences, Na Slovance 2, Prague, CZ-182 21, The Czech Republic
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.