Keeler, James Edward
- Glenn A. Walsh
- … show all 1 hide
BornLa Salle, Illinois, USA, 10 September 1857
DiedSan Francisco, California, USA, 12 August 1900
In an era dominated by large refracting telescopes, James Keeler demonstrated the promise and future prospects of reflecting telescopes for conducting astronomical research. His celestial photographs taken with the Crossley reflector demonstrated conclusively that the nebulae, many of them spiral nebulae, existed in much larger numbers than had been previously imagined. Keeler used the spectrograph to measure fundamental physical and chemical properties of celestial objects as a pioneer astrophysicist.
Keeler was the son of William F. and Anna (née Dutton) Keeler. His father, a senior partner in the La Salle Iron Works, had previously been a watchmaker and traveled around the world, after having no success in the California Gold Rush. Keeler grew up in La Salle, Illinois, where he witnessed the total solar eclips ...
- Campbell, WW (1900) James Edward Keeler. Astrophysical Journal 12: pp. 239-253
- — (1900). “James Edward Keeler.” Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 12: 139–146.
- Dieke, SH Keeler, James Edward. In: Gillispie, CC eds. (1973) Dictionary of Scientific Biography. Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York, pp. 270-271
- Hale, GE (1900) James Edward Keeler. Science 12: pp. 353-357
- Hastings, CS (1905) Biographical Memoir of James Edward Keeler. Biographical Memoirs, National Academy of Sciences 5: pp. 231-246
- Osterbrock, DE (1984) James E. Keeler: Pioneer American Astrophysicist and the Early Development of American Astrophysics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- — (1995). “Founded in 1895 by George E. Hale and James E. Keeler: The Astrophysical Journal Centennial.” Astrophysical Journal 438: 1–7.
- Perrine, CD (1900) James Edward Keeler. Popular Astronomy 8: pp. 409-417
- Scaife, WL eds. (1924) John A. Brashear: The Autobiography of A Man Who Loved the Stars. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, esp, New York
- Keeler, James Edward
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1169-1172
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Glenn A. Walsh (1113)
- Author Affiliations
- 1113. Pittsburgh, PA, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.