- Petra Heijden
- … show all 1 hide
Kaiser, Frederick; Kaiser, Friedrich
BornAmsterdam, the Netherlands, 10 June 1808
DiedLeiden, the Netherlands, 28 July 1872
Frederik Kaiser directed the Leiden Observatory from 1837 until his death in 1872. His contributions to Dutch astronomy included the foundation of a completely new observatory building in Leiden (in 1860, the first of its kind in the Netherlands) and the introduction of statistics and precision measurements in daily astronomical practice. Moreover, he was a gifted teacher and a skillful popularizer of astronomy.
Kaiser was the oldest boy of eight children born to Johann Wilhelm Keyser and Anna Sibella Liernur. His parents were immigrants from Nassau-Dietz in Germany. Kaiser’s father, a teacher of German, died in 1817 when Frederik was 8 years old. Kaiser was then raised by his uncle, Johan Frederik Keyser, a municipal employee and teacher of mathematics in Amsterdam. Keyser was a member of several learned societies and was known as a prof ...
- Minnaert, M. G. J. (1973). “Kaiser, Frederik.” In Dictionary of Scientific Biography, edited by Charles Coulston Gillispie. Vol. 7, pp. 209–210. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.
- Oudemans, J. A. C. (1875). “Levensschets van Frederik Kaiser.” Jaarboek der Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen: 39–104.
- van de Sande Bakhuyzen, H. G. (1911). “Frederik Kaiser.” In Nieuw Nederlandsch biografisch woordenboek, edited by P. C. Molhuysen and P. J. Blok, pp. 1239–1241. Leiden: A. W. Sijthoff.
- van Geer, P. (1872). Frederik Kaiser: Een woord van herinnering, uitgesproken bij de heropening der academisch lessen. Leiden: A. W. Sijthoff.
- W. T. L. (1873). “Professor Frederik Kaiser.” Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 33: 209–211.
- Kaiser, Frederik
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1151-1153
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Petra Heijden (111)
- Author Affiliations
- 111. Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.