Jenkins, Louise Freeland
- Dorrit Hoffleit
- … show all 1 hide
BornFitchburg, Massachusetts, USA, 5 July 1888
DiedNew Haven, Connecticut, USA, 9 May 1970
American astrometrist Louise Jenkins compiled a valuable catalog of stars within 10 parsecs of the Sun and edited the third edition of the Yale Bright Star Catalogue. Only 12 of the nearby stars are brighter than V = 6.5.
Jenkins attended Mount Holyoke College where she studied under Professor Anne Young, earning her AB in 1911 and MA in 1917. Meanwhile, she was appointed as assistant in astronomy at Mount Holyoke, 1911–1913; computer at Allegheny Observatory, 1913–1915 (where Frank Schlesinger was then director); and instructor at Mount Holyoke, 1915–1920. From 1917 to 1920 Jenkins observed sunspots at the Mount Holyoke telescope, reporting her observations in Popular Astronomy. In 1919 she joined the American Association of Variable Star Observers [AAVSO]. With Young in 1920, Jenkins determined the proper motions of some 34 variable stars.
From 1920 to 1932 Jenkins was a member of the Women’s Ameri ...
- Anon, (1970) Yale Astronomer Dies. Sky & Telescope 40: pp. 16
- Jenkins, LF (1937) Stars Within Ten Parsecs of the Sun. Astronomical Journal 46: pp. 95-99
- Sakuma, S-I (1985) Louise F. Jenkins, Astronomer and Missionary in Japan. Journal of the American Association of Variable Star Observers 14: pp. 67-68
- Schlesinger, F (1936) “The Trigonometric Parallaxes of 851 Stars.”.
- Young, AS, Jenkins, LF (1921) Proper-Motions of Certain Long Period Variables. Astronomical Journal 33: pp. 133-135
- Jenkins, Louise Freeland
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1126-1127
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Dorrit Hoffleit (1018)
- Author Affiliations
- 1018. Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.