Argelander, Friedrich Wilhelm August
- Tapio Markkanen
- … show all 1 hide
BornMemel, Prussia (Klaipeda, Lithuania), 23 March 1799
DiedBonn, Germany, 17 February 1875
Friedrich Argelander was an observatory director who confirmed solar motion from stellar proper motions; he later produced the Bonner Durchmusterung. Argelander was the son of merchant and shipowner Johann Gottfried Argelander (whose father was Finnish) and Wilhelmina Dorotea Grünhagen. In 1823, Argelander married Maria Sophia Charlotte Courtan, and they had one daughter: Maria Wilhelmina Amalia.
Argelander studied astronomy in the University of Königsberg under Friedrich Bessel, completing his dissertation in 1822. Next year, he was appointed as observator (associate professor) in Finland, at the University of Turku (Åbo in Swedish). The observatory in Turku had been founded in 1819, but its first observator, Henrik Johan Walbeck, died unexpectedly. ...
- Donner, A. (1909). Den astronomiska forskningen och den astronomiska institutionen vid det finska universitetet. II. Tiden från Argelander till Krueger. Akademisk inbjudningsskrift. Helsinki.
- Krueger, A. (1875). “Minnestal öfver Friedrich Wilhelm August Argelander.” Acta Societas Scientiarum Fennicae 10.
- Lehti R. and Markkanen T. (2010). History of Astronomy in Finland 1828–1918. Societas Scientiarum Fennica. Sastamala 2010.
- Argelander, Friedrich Wilhelm August
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 99-100
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Tapio Markkanen (181)
- Author Affiliations
- 181. University of Helsinki, Haltiatontuntie 4 A 4, Espoo, 02200, Finland
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.