Houzeau de Lehaie, Jean-Charles-Hippolyte-Joseph
- Tim Trachet
- … show all 1 hide
BornMons, (Belgium), 7 October 1820
DiedSchaerbeek near Brussels, Belgium, 12 July 1888
The Belgian astronomer Jean-Charles Houzeau served astronomy in a number of ways, including as director of the Royal Belgian Observatory, but is best known for his extensive bibliography of astronomy.
Born to a rich, old family of nobility, Houzeau’s ancestors added the sobriquet “de Lehaie” to distinguish their branch of the family. As a convinced democrat, Houzeau never used his full, aristocratic name; he called himself simply Houzeau. He was educated at home in his father’s extensive library, and showed a brilliant intelligence and a spirit of inquiry, but also a love of freedom and independence. His family routinely spent winters in Paris, France, where the young Houzeau spent most of his time in the Bibliothèque Nationale recording data on all subjects of interest to him. He usually lived at the Sorbonne with his uncle, the vice rector of the University of Paris.
After a successful period at the C ...
- Anon. (1891). “Sketch of Jean-Charles Houzeau.” Popular Science Monthly 38: 544–552.
- Houzeau, J-C (1878) Uranométrie générale. F. Hayez, Brussels
- — (1882). Vade-mecum de l’astronome. Brussels: F. Hayez.
- Houzeau, Jean-Charles, A. Lancaster, and D. W. Dewhirst (1964). Bibliographie générale de l’astronomie jusqu’en 1880. New ed. 2 Vols. in 3. London: Holland Press.
- Lancaster, Albert (1889). Notes biographiques sur Jean-Charles Houzeau. Brussels.
- Liagre, J. B. J. (1891). “Notice sur Jean-Charles Houzeau.” Annuaire de l’Académie royale de Belgique.
- Rankin, David C. (ed.) (1984). “Introduction.” In My Passage at the New Orleans Tribune, by Jean-Charles Houzeau pp. 1–67. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press.
- Wellens de Donder, Liliane (1994). Jean-Charles Houzeau, 1820–1888. Brussels.
- Houzeau de Lehaie, Jean-Charles-Hippolyte-Joseph
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 1014-1016
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- Tim Trachet (8118)
- Author Affiliations
- 8118. Zenit, Utrecht, The Netherlands
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.