de la Hire, Philippe
- David J. Sturdy
- … show all 1 hide
Hire, Philippe de la
BornParis, France, 1640
DiedParis, France, 21 April 1718
Philippe de la Hire was a mathematician, an observational astronomer, and a key figure in the Académie royale des sciences. La Hire was the eldest child of Laurent de la Hire, peintre ordinaire du roiand professor at the Académie royale de peinture, and Marguerite Coquin. Laurent was a well-known artist whose patrons included Cardinal Richelieu. Laurent and his wife were well off financially – they owned several properties in Paris – and their residence was frequented by leading figures from the worlds of the visual arts and the mathematical sciences. The geometer Gérard Desargues was one of Laurent’s closest friends. Laurent intended Philippe also to be a painter, and to that end educated him personally. Philippe’s study of geometry was assisted by Desargues, who probably introduced him to projective geometry. Laurent, who admired the Venetian masters, urged Philippe to go to Venice, which he did ...
- Fontenelle, B. le Bovier de (1766). Eloges des Académiciens de l’Académie Royale des Sciences morts depuis l’An 1699. Paris.
- Gillispie, CC (1980) Science and Polity in France at the End of the Old Regime. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey
- — (2004). Science and Polity in France: The Revolutions and Napoleonic Years. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Hahn, R (1971) The Anatomy of a Scientific Institution: The Paris Academy of Sciences, 1666-1803. University of California Press, Berkeley
- Sturdy, DJ (1995) Science and Social Status: The Members of the Académie des Sciences, 1666-1750. Boydell Press, Woodbridge, England
- Taton, R (1953) La première oeuvre géométrique de Philippe de la Hire. Revue d’histoire des sciences 6: pp. 93-111
- — (1973). “La Hire, Philippe de.” In Dictionary of Scientific Biography, edited by Charles Coulston Gillispie. Vol. 7, pp. 576–579. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons.
- Wolf, C. (1902). Histoire de l’Observatoire de Paris de sa fondation à 1793. Paris.
- de la Hire, Philippe
- Reference Work Title
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Astronomers
- pp 539-541
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Earth Science, University of Northern Iowa
- 2. University of California, Irvine School of Physical Sciences
- 3. Rice University
- 4. Whitman College
- 5. York Univesity
- 6. University of Wisconsin
- 7. University of Oklahoma
- 8. Harvard University
- David J. Sturdy (436)
- Author Affiliations
- 436. Universtity of Ulster, Coleraine, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.